3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dell 0M3918 mobo 2nd drive

Recently had a bad sector on a Seagate HD that required a reinstall of Windows. I decided to remove the Seagate and use it as a second HD on another system. I had a WD 160 GB SATA installed as the second drive which I cleared and used to reinstall WinXP-Pro SP3 and my apps. I repositioned it on the cables and bought a new, larger Western Digital to use as the D drive. After moving all the data on the Seagate (old C) to the WD (old D, now C) and an external USB-attached Maxtor, I installed the old WD as C and reinstalled Win and apps. When the new 500GB WD SATA arrived I installed it as D but can't see it in My Computer. Note that I ran for several days with only the C internal drive and the other HD external.

After not being able to see the new WD, I rebooted and opened Setup and found that the 2nd HD was "off"; so I turned it on and let the system continue booting. The little balloon that announces new hardware said that a new hard drive was found but still no visibility in My Computer. My Computer shows the C drive (old D WD now installed as C) and shows the CD and DVD drives as D and E. It also shows my external F drive and the partitioned Maxtor as G, H, I, and J.

I rebooted and went into Setup again to be sure that changing the 2nd HD (new WD installed as D) to "ON" had been saved. It had. Setup now shows 2 HD's and the CD and the DVD drives; but the 2nd HD which should appear as the D drive in My Computer still does not appear. Instead the CD is assigned D etc. as described above.

I don't know what else to do. The internal cabling might be wrong (but I don't know how I could mess that up and still have the C drive function), but I don't understand how the new hardware detector would have seen the new drive if that had been the case. I have both the power and data SATA cables connected in the appropriated places on the C drive and what should be the D drive.

Suggestions greatly appreciated and gratefully received.

Thanks

Re: Dell 0M3918 mobo 2nd drive

Did the new drive come already partitioned and formatted? You could look in Disk Management and see how Windows perceives it. I get there by right-clicking the "My Computer" icon and choosing Manage.

Then in the tree on the left, Storage > Disk Management

Any luck?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dell 0M3918 mobo 2nd drive

That was what I needed to know. The disk is being formatted as I type this.

I don't remember having ever been through this process before when adding a new drive.

Thanks a bunch for the help!