Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Event ID 57 (XP MCE SP2)

Here's a little detective work for ya! This happens every few days during what appears to be almost idle time and happened again this morning while I'm sitting here reading posts in The Lounge. I hear a little "chirping" sound, but nothing shows up onscreen. It sounds like my USB scanner is "cycling" like it would if I were booting the machine, but I'm not booting and in fact haven't done anything but read the posts I have on the screen. I went to Event Viewer and found it in the SYSTEM branch, so I sorted on the event and you can see in the attachment that it happens every few days and there always seem to be TWO entries exactly alike.

When I follow the Microsoft link, I find advice that says I should run CHKDSK to check the integrity of my hard drive, but I do that weekly and, in fact, just did so yesterday morning prior to my weekly backup. A Google yields many results, such as EventID.Net. The thrust of that one is the "surprise" removal of a USB device, which I certainly didn't do.

So far, I've been ignoring this and crossing my fingers. So, I thought I'd ask here in The Lounge to see if anyone has any wisdom or experience with this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Event ID 57 (XP MCE SP2)

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I wonder if you are beginning to have a power problem with a USB device that is causing the OS to think that the device is disconnected.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

I had a small flurry of these on one day three months ago, but that's it. Nothing bad happened subsequently.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Same article as I linked to in my own post, Dave, but thanks for looking.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could be, Joe and I think I'm gonna stay on this idea for a little more detective work, because:

This morning I checked the USB hard drive that is the destination for this week's backup files. The drive was present and visible but no incremental backup file from 1 AM today as there should have been. The full image from Saturday and the incremental from yesterday are present. When I tried to start ShadowProtect the app would not respond to mouse click. I had to reboot the machine to get SP to run and when it did, the job status says this weekly job is "completed." That is definitely wrong since that job has four more nightly incrementals to run in order to complete the week.

So, I performed an "edit" on the scheduled job, changing nothing as I went through each screen. When I completed that, the job status now says it IS scheduled again for 1 AM tomorrow. So it appears that either that Event 57 caused ShadowProtect to barf or vice versa. I need to hot-foot over to that forum and see if there's any mention of this kind of problem. One thing is for sure, you can bet I'll be watching the event logs for awhile and rebooting if that ID 57 shows up again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've been sitting here awaiting the arrival of my son who should be returning my camera which he borrowed yesterday morning to take some pictures of Grandson #1 at a baseball game between our University of Kentucky and the University of Florida. The kids were gonna get to run out to the field with each player as he's introduced and the children get a big charge out of it.

It strikes me that yesterday morning, in preparation for his picking up the camera, I had inserted the memory stick into my USB floppy/card reader combo so I could empty some files from the stick to make sure there's plenty of room. Hmmm, I wonder if that had anything to do with that "...failure to flush..." event? The spaced out (in time) occurrences of this error make it impossible for me to remember if I had done something similar. I use that card reader for both the camera memory stick and the memory stick that's in my recently acquired Palm Treo smartphone. I don't ever UNPLUG the device itself, BUT when I've finished with my work, I simply pull out the stick and go about my business. I wonder if the OS gets "confused" by having read the data on the stick into cache memory and then the stick is gone. Hmmm, fodder for me to test with...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I've always used 'eject' even on read-only devices. Never noticed any events logged or any other issue.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you optimised your USB disk for Quick Removal, or for Performance?

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

First to Joe: I haven't thought about using eject on the sticks in the past, Joe, but I will as I proceed with this detective scenario. I've kinda thought that I should just be able to pull the stick out (as you would a floppy) since I'm not really removing the device. But, it's certainly worth a look-see.

The first objective for me is to try to replicate the problem so I can identify what's causing the error. Then narrow down what a fix might be.

Stuart: I've looked at both card reader devices and my two USB external drives and they're all set as in your example. I think it must be the Windows default because I don't remember being smart enough to adjust the setting. Should I leave it alone or enable write caching?

Now, this morning when my son returned with the camera, I inserted the memory stick and copied the dozen or so pictures he has taken from the stick to my SATA primary hard drive. The difference from the morning in the original post is that today I DID NOT delete any files from the stick. So far today, the event error has not showed up. If I'm still OK in the morning, I'm gonna put the stick back in and delete all its files as I did previously to see if that replicates the error. One step at a time, I guess. I'm pretty sure that ShadowProtect was a "victim" in this story since I've been running it daily since March 24 for full images and nightly incrementals without a failure or the appearance of this event error.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> Should I leave it alone or enable write caching?

I strongly recommend that you leave this alone. It should only be set on disks that are never removed and that require the performance boost - for example the system disk on my laptop.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

One should ALWAYS use the "Safe to remove" method or right click the device and select "Eject". As some of these devices are NOT through reading and/or writing (deleting is writing) the files.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I'll be frank and say that I thought that you and Joe were full of hooey about the eject thing and that would simply disconnect the device, but NO, you were right. I tried some operations on the card reader with both a camera memory stick and the card from my Palm Treo. When I use the eject function while in Windows Explorer, it does simply drop the Explorer left-pane down a notch to the next item on the list but does NOT disconnect the device. So, mea culpa on that one and I'll continue trying that method in the future.

But for now, I'm NOT using eject because I'm trying like mad to replicate the problem and I haven't been able to make the error show up any more. I'd really like to know what causes it to happen since, on my machine it seems to happen several times each month. As I said, using both the camera's stick and the Treo's card, I've copied files back and forth, deleted files and each time when finished, simply pulled the card out, hoping to see the error happen again, but so far, no soap! I hope maybe some Lounger, somewhere, will chime in to add his/her two-cents.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Event ID 57 translates as "The system failed to flush data to the transaction log..." I guess this refers to the NTFS transaction log, so the issue is not data in your files it is meta data from file system changes.

Try creating and deleting a number of folders and rapidly pulling out the stick!

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart. I'm game and will give it a try to see what happens. BUT, both of the sticks in question have NO folders on them and never have, so I don't know if that would have caused the problem. I will give it a try to see however.

And now that you make this hypothesis, I wonder if that folder creation/deletion could be on a device like an internal (i.e. non-USB) drive? The only reason I've been pointing in that direction is the MS writeup which seems to indicate that the error has to do with USB devices. However, on my machine, the event logs go back about a year and this error has occurred many times in that span. So, now I'm wondering if it might NOT necessarily be related to a USB device. Well, I'll keep poking around. I really would like to wrestle this one down...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast