3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Explorer visability (XP home SP2)

My C drive failed and I am rebuilding my system with a new drive. One "feature" I had with my former setup is the ability in Windows Explorer to "see" system files in the various user portions of the Documents and Settings folder, e.g., Cookies, Local Settings, Templates, Temporary Internet Files. I have been unable to figure out how to do this with my renewed setup.

I of course have clicked "show system files" in the Windows and the Program Files folders so that I see system files there, but I am unaware of a similar easy setup for the Documents and Settings folder. When I search for these files using the Windows Explorer search capability set to include system files, it finds these folders, but I still cannot directly see them in Windows Explorer.

What simple trick am I missing?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Windows Explorer visability (XP home SP2)

Clear the "Hide protected Operation system files" in the same area of Tools Options, View Tab.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MANY THANKS!

I knew it would be simple; my memory isn't what it used to be (and probably never was).

Thanks again.!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

This means you have "Show hidden files and folders" selected already or did that change at the same time. I was almost writing to say Dave was wrong since clearing the "Hide protected Operation [sic] system files" does nothing if not "Show hidden files and folders" isn't already selected.

By default Windows doesn't display the contents of system folders (can be set for all in Folder Options or individually as I assume you did for the Windows and the Program Files folders), doesn't show hidden files and folders, and hides protected OS files.

And if you had "Show hidden files and folders" selected then Local Settings, Templates etc. should be displayed.

However, if you use Internet Explorer 7 some things has changed since IE6: TIF (Temporary Internet Files) and Cookies folders are now super-hidden, they have both the system attribute and the hidden attribute set, so in that case you need both "Show hidden" and clear "Hide protected".

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the additional info. Actually, I did what you suggested needed to be done. Dave was incorrect, but he got me to the correct area, and I then could make it work.

I did not know about the super-hidden attributes of TIF and Cookies. Maybe they still showed up for me previously because I had done an upgrade from IE6 to IE7 before; my new installation was directly in IE7.

Thanks to both of you!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Once again, thanks. You guys are the greatest!