3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disk Management Hangs (WinXP Pro SP-3)

Been going through a system recovery process since a sector died on my hard drive. I cleared the other HD to external drives reconfigured, reformatted and reinstalled the OS on it. Since then I ordered, installed and configured another internal HD. Now I have 2 internals, and 2 externals with one of the externals partitioned into 4 devices (It's a FAT32 file system but all the others are NTSF).

In the process of getting the drive letters back to some semblance of predictability, the Disk Management utility in Administrative Tools/Computer Management quit working. I was able to reassign letters to some of the HD partitions (to make the drive letters they had available for re-use), but when I tried to change the drive letter on the CD drive Disk Management just sits and does nothing. When I shut down the system normally (Start/Turn Off Computer . . . ) I see an error panel so briefly that I cannot read it before the screen reverts to the wallpaper (ie, no system tray, no desktop icons, no nothing but the wallpaper image) and just sits there. After 2 hours last night, I forced a power off with the on/off switch. When I tried to make the drive letter assignment this morning I got the same result - nada.

Any suggestions as to how to repair the Disk Management utility? Do I have to reinstall Windows (Heaven Forbid!)?

TIA

Thanks

Re: Disk Management Hangs (WinXP Pro SP-3)

Are you sure about SP3?
    Anything showing up in the Event Viewer?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phat phingered the SP!

It should read SP2!

System Event Log shows a bunch of 7011 under Service Control Manager, which I think is just a timeout. Googling didn't turn up anything that looked relevant.

Thanks for the response, Leif.

Thanks

Bob,

Have your windows XP disk handy and try the following.

Click Start->Run and type <big>sfc /scannow </big> and hit enter.

See if there were any damaged or bad version system files, if there were/are then the system file checker (sfc) will alert you to insert the XP disk and it will replace any files it needs to.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!