New Lounger
    Thanks

Save As dialoge repeated displayed (Off2000)

I open a Word or Excel doc, and immediately the save as dialogue opens, even though I didn't do anything. I escape/cancel and it pops up again and again. I can barely move anywhere else and it pops up. I can't do any work. I can move the dialogue box off to the bottom and read the page, but can't scroll or edit at all. It has happened before, starting for no apparent reason, and returning to normal behavior a few days later. I don't remember making any changes the other day, but it was fine on Sat, but now on Mon and Tue it's doing it again. I try googling it and checking on the Office site, but haven't had any success getting any info. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on and what to do. I've tried rebooting, and even repairing the installation, but it keeps doing it. I haven't run any updates lately either. Help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Save As dialoge repeated displayed (Off2000)

This is probably caused by an add-in. Try following the instructions in Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the quickest thing first - open Word without add-ins. Tried the same with Excel. After closing and then opening a couple documents like normal (via shortcuts and Explorer), they appear to be behaving now. I'll see as I use them more. But I've got the info to go further, if need be. Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Spoke too soon, still not right. Will work on the other suggestions.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Five months later (April to Sept) and I've NOT resolved the problem. It was getting so bad that I would type one character and the dialog would pop up - endlessly! I couldn't use Word or Excel, neither in 2000 nor 2003 versions (using XP SP2). A couple days ago I finally took drastic measures - I reformated the drive and reinstalled XP - used the recovery disk that came with the computer, Toshiba Satellite A40-S270. I then installed Word2000 - nothing else - not connected to internet or anything, didn't even change any of the settings - it's a raw XP like when I got the computer in 04. After a while in Word the save as dialog popped up again! URGH! At least it isn't constantly doing it like it had been. Then I installed Office 2003 (in addition to the Word2000). And after using Word a little bit, and then Excel, also, the save as dialog popped up in them also! URGH!

So has anyone got any ideas what is happening? It seems to me that it's not program or system related, if I've started all over fresh. Could it be BIOS or some thing else much deeper? Or is the recovery installation not a complete clean of the hard drive???? If I can't resolve it, then it's on to OpenOffice (but then I lose all my macros) - no, maybe I'll have to change to a MAC!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That is a bizarre problem. Try installing Windows from scratch instead of from a recovery disk...

New Lounger
    Thanks

If I had a disk with Windows! If I find one, then do I have to use a different key? So what happens for updating when it checks for a "genuine" copy?
    Is there a way to reformat the whole drive, and wipe it completely clean before the new install? Or does the recovery process actually do that? This is all new territory for me. (I've also been wondering about partitioning, but it looks like that has to be done on a clean disk, so maybe that would be the time to do it.)
    Thanks for your help and any info you can send along.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Most of "Todays" machines have a built in "System Recover" that will reset the machine to Factory Settings.
    What is the make and model of this machine?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave, I've seen your replies on a lot of other posts - thanks for replying to me also.
    It's a Toshiba Satellite A40-S270. I got it in 2004.
    Is the System Recover you refer to something in Windows or something else? How do I get to it?
    Since I have only installed a couple programs to check it out, I'm ready to start over again if I need to.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Did this machine come with "System CD's"?
    If so you should be able to do a clean install AFTER you back up ALL of your data.
    You will then have to reinstall ALL of your Windows updates and programs and hardware drivers.

I can find nothing at the Toshiba website about them using system recover on that machine.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.