2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Still Shutting Down (2K - SP3)

Access shuts down for no apparent reason while I am working. I have lost hours worth of work. I have done as suggested in Hans' post 364,203. I have also imported the tables, queries, etc. into a new blank Db. None of these suggestions have worked so far.

Does anyone know what else I might try? I'm desperate and frustrated!
    Thanks,
    Caroline in lala-land

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Still Shutting Down (2K - SP3)

Does this only happen with this particular database, or whenever you're working with Access?

Where is the database stored? On a local hard disk, or on a network drive?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have only been working in this Db since last week. Prior I worked on a couple of other Dbs for a couple of weeks. The problem started yesterday while working in this Db and has been persistent ever since.

I am working on a laptop and the Db is on my local drive.
    Thanks,
    Caroline in lala-land

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

So it appears to be specific to this database. It's hard to say what might be wrong without seeing it. Could you post a stripped down copy of your database? See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans: Sorry for the delayed response - I was watching my email for a reply but didn't see this. Here is the Db as instructed.

Thank you so much for your help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanks,
    Caroline in lala-land

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I noticed the following points:
    <UL><LI>Each table has two indexes on the same field: the primary key and another one.
    Duplicate indexes take up unnecessary space; you should leave the primary keys and remove the other ones.
    <LI>tblStudents contains invalid intTitleID_FK, intDepartmentID_FK, intTrackID_FK and intClassID_FK values. The latter field doesn't belong in tblStudents at all, as far as I can tell. The incorrect values prevent you from enforcing referential integrity for the corresponding relationships.
    You should remove intClassID_FK and select valid values for the other fields, then enforce referential integrity for the relationships.
    <LI>There are two relationships between rblCourses and tblApplications on the same fields. That is unnecessary. You should remove one of the relationships, and enforce referential integrity for the remaining one.
    <LI>The form frmClassSignIn subform has a code module but no code. You should set the Has Module property (in the Other tab of the Properties window for the form) to No.
    <LI>This form uses an SQL statement as record source; it would be better to use tblAttendance.
    <LI>The query qryApplications is based on tblApplications and tblCourses but tblCourses isn't used in the query. Moreover, the query itself isn't used.
    <LI>The query qryAttendance merely returns all fields of tblAttendance, so it serves no purpose. It isn't used anywhere either.
    <LI>The query qryClasses merely returns all fields of tblClasses, so you might as well use tblClasses as record source for frmClassSignIn.
    <LI>The query qryClassLocations is based on a table that you probably removed in order to reduce the size of the database. It isn't used.
    <LI>The query qryClassTest isn't used.
    <LI>The query qryDepartments is based on a table that you probably removed in order to reduce the size of the database.
    <LI>The query qryNamesInClass is based on tblAttendance and tblStudents but it only returns a field from tblAttendance. The query isn't used.
    <LI>The query qryTrainers isn't used.
    <LI>You should set the property Allow Design Changes to Design view only for all forms.[/list]I've played around with the database but I can't make it crash.
    I have attached the database with the changes mentioned above.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans: Thank you for your analysis. Due to the 100k size limitation, I had to delete a number of tables (those I thought weren't relevant); however, since you didn't crash, perhaps one of the deleted tables is causing the problem.

I will verify/make your suggested changes and see if I continue to have problems. I will let you know.

Again, thank you!
    Thanks,
    Caroline in lala-land