2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recognizing Big Hard Drive (XP / XP SP2)

Hi,

With the pending release of Windows XP SP3, I thought it a good time to back up my data and do a reformat and clean install of Windows XP. I have the original release of XP, along with a disk of Service Pack 2.

Here's my question: I have a 320 GB Hard Drive. Currently it's partitioned into two drives, because the original XP doesn't recognize drives above (I think) 120 GB. Since I'm doing a clean install, I thought this might be a good time to repartition the drive so that I have just the single 320 GB partition (I have a second physical drive as well that I use for backing up.)

If I format the drive and install my Windows XP, it will only recognize part of the drive, until I upgrade with the SP2 disc. Once I've done that, and I have nothing on the computer other than Windows, is there a way to "re-integrate" the two partitions into a single large one, without buying a third party partition software program (since I only want to do this the one time). Once that's done, then I'd upgrade to SP3, make a disc image with Norton Ghost, and that would be the end of it.

Thanks for any help.

John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Recognizing Big Hard Drive (XP / XP SP2)

Search the XP forum for 'slipstream'. It is the process of integrating a service pack with the original release. Then you'll get SP-2 from the start.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Recognizing Big Hard Drive (XP / XP SP2)

I agree with Joe. It seems unnecessary complicated to do it in several steps.

When SP3 is released and trusted to install (i.e. some days gone without any major problems reported), if I would like to do what you are planning, I would slipstream it. You would gain a lot, such as a working Recovery Console (a RC that match your installed SP) on the slipstreamed CD etc.

And of course you could slipstream SP2 and XP RTM also.

(Before Windows XP SP1 the size limit was 137 GB.)