Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Hotmail.co.uk and Outlook (OL 2003)

Are running the most current version of Outlook Connector (Download details: Microsoft Office Outlook Connector)? Have you checked - Outlook Connector Solution Center? Did you change your Hotmail account to a Live Hotmail account (Windows Live Hotmail - Overview)?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Joe, thanks for coming on to help,

Yes I am using the latest version of the connector- and I upgraded Outlook to let me use it....
    I had not found the Outlook Connector page you gave me the url for (why given all the googles I had done?), However, I dont think it brings anything new to the party
    No, I came at this when I had to change my Windows Live ID email account away from the previous one (a POP3 account that Orange may kill anytime now). Windows Live suckered me to raise a hotmail account to replace it. I dont need the account, but cannot afford not to have anything Windows Live throws at me visible. I dont want to have to police the account separately on the web. WL did not offer me here in the UK any choice about the account it gave me, hence @hotmail.co.uk.

Cheers,
    Mike C

Administrator
    Thanks

Have you checked the account settings in the connector? Have removed the account from Outlook and recreated it?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe hi,

I cant find any relevant account settings in the connector. selecting anything seems to take me to the web view of the account and doesnt have any relevant settings.

I have just removed and recreated the account again with no improvement. Let me just check...

I add a new account. This starts off as an HTTP account after this is created, it offers me the opportunity to transfer to the connector. When I say yes it runs a routine and asks me to restart outlook. When I restart Outlook the account is then a MAPI account with another entry in the navigation pane for the Hotmail account. The new one sends mail fine but doesnt receive mail.

when I go into the windows live mail web view, the results of all my test sendings are visible, but none have downloaded. Should I have purged all prior messages in the inbox?

Mike C

Administrator
    Thanks

You should not have to purge anything. Once it is working properly the messages should be downloaded. Do you get any errors? Do you have any anti-virus scanning e-mail? If so, try disabling the e-mail scanning.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Bingo!

I disabled firewall and AV and they all came rushing in. All I have to do now is find out which (or both) is causing the problem.

Thanks

Mike C

Administrator
    Thanks

Good!!! You're most of the way there. Please post back what the final solution is.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe, Too excited, too quickly!

So it wont do it again, even with firewall and AV turned off. I found a log file as follows. I think this file is from the successful run.

"Outlook Connector Version 12.0.4518.1068

Account: mike.cheeseman@hotmail.co.uk

Signed in successfully at 24/04/2008 16:32:15

Mail: Last successfully refreshed at 16:37.
    Calendar: Error at 16:37.
    Contacts: Last successfully refreshed at 16:37.

Errors :

Time: 24/04/2008 16:37:16
    Error in Calendar
    Information is missing from your Microsoft Passport Network profile. In Calendar, click Options, and then update your personal profile."

As you can see it has generated errors in calendar and contacts. I dont have a paid hotmail account and I have no need to synchronise either of these services. But I cant find a way to set that kind of thing up. ? MS Passport Network Profile?

Any ideas? Is there a limit to how often you can run these synchronisation sessions.

Mike C

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe hi,

No improvement I'm afraid. I have noticed and switched on the Outlook Connector toolbar which offers a server status.It is showing "connecting" on all 3 services i.e. mail, contacts, and calendar. The log file has moved on to recognise the fresh connection and reads...
    "Outlook Connector Version 12.0.4518.1068

Account: mike.cheeseman@hotmail.co.uk

Signed in successfully at 25/04/2008 09:50:41

Mail:
    Calendar:
    Contacts:

Errors :

Time: 25/04/2008 09:50:44
    Error in Calendar
    Information is missing from your Microsoft Passport Network profile. In Calendar, click Options, and then update your personal profile."

What has this got to do with the passport process?

Mike C

Administrator
    Thanks

The MS Passport process is just signing in with your Live ID. The error in the Calendar is expected unless you have the 'premium' service. I get

Outlook Connector Version 12.0.4518.1063

Account: name@hotmail.com

Signed in successfully at 4/25/2008 7:16:27 AM

Mail: Last successfully refreshed at 8:37 AM.
    Calendar: Error at 7:16 AM.
    Contacts: Last successfully refreshed at 8:37 AM.

Errors :

Time: 4/25/2008 7:16:29 AM
    Error in Calendar
    Outlook Connector is available only to subscribers.

BTW, you should edit your original post to remove your e-mail address so web page harversters do get it.

I'm at a loss now. I can't find any other information to try something different. Did it ever work with the firewall & A/V disabled?

Maybe someone else here has an idea. You could contact Microsoft. In the US, if you contact them via a web submission there is no charge. It may take a little longer.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe hi,

Thanks for including your own log file -I can see that it goes on beyond the errors where I thought mine was stalling at them.

Yes indeed it did work once - the first time I disabled both fw and av. 24 of my test messages came pouring through. Once!. (It also left them on the server - was that right?).

I will post resolution if I get it...

Thanks

Mike C

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hotmail and Outlook (OL 2003)

In a number of forums, including Microsoft, I have read quite explicit statements that it is possible to link a Hotmail account to outlook using either the Windows Live POP3 server or Outlook Connector. It is also said that these services are free, even to newcomers for mail, but chargeable for calendar/contacts synchronisation.

So I have tried every whichway to make either of these work for a hotmail.co.uk account without success. Does anyone know for sure whether the facility is available for these addresses (in which case I will go on trying) or that they only work on .com ones.

For the record my problem is that it finds but will not log on to the pop3 server and/or wont receive (though it does send) any messages through outlook connector,

Thanks

Mike C

Administrator
    Thanks

It is correct to have the messages left on the server. It is good that it worked once. Is the hotmail account in a send/receive group? What frequency do you have the group set to send/receive?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe hi,

I have two send receive groups. One has all my pop/smtp accounts and refreshed every minute. The other has only my hotmail MAPI account in and refreshes every 11 mintes.

Do you use the connector toolbar (mine is bottom right), What does your server status say?

regards,

Mike C

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ok Joe, so here's funny.

I found a way to force a new hotmail,com account in my name, so I dont know why I was pushed into a hotmail.co.uk one when I signed up. However, the main thing is that this account works perfectly. It sends, it receives, it produces a log file like your one, and it says the server status is connected. I am half-tempted to open up yet another .co.uk account to see how that gets on i.e. if my current one is corrupted or if they all dont work. If I delete the account will it remove all traces from the registry, or will it leave some stuff there to use if it is re-created?

Anyway, I now have a live ID that doesnt work that has paid services tied to it, and another that does work but I dont need! What do you think is the best way to simplify the situation.

Thanks for all your efforts btw, they have been much appreciated. Perhaps something is corrupted and that was stopping us...

Cheers,

Mike C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast