Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting temp files (2003)

MS-Word started misbehaving yesterday. I was working with two files. The first was a 72-page mess—outline numbering, but all manually done; virtually all of in Normal style...all quite typical. The second document was of my own design based on a custom template. I was copying and pasting text from Doc1 to Doc2. When pasting, I used Paste Special...Unformatted text. I've done this type of work before with documents that have manual outline numbering. This time, Word repeatedly crashed. It happened three times over about 20 minutes. That's when I quit and ran for the Lounge to find Phil Rabichow's article on <!post=Systematic approach to behavioral problems in Word,197827>Systematic approach to behavioral problems in Word<!/post>.

I've been to this great star-post before, and the first step has heretofore done the trick. I see Phil has modified the post, and I followed the First Step carefully. The search initially brought up 40 files, mostly .tmp and .wbk files. First I selected everything and hit the Delete key, but I got a message box telling me that the system could not read the source file or words to that effect. So I went file by file for a while, but from time to time I got a message box saying that such-n-such file is a "system file" and do I really, really want to delete it? I said yes.

As I proceeded, the list of files in the search results window began to grow. Now I have...well, a lot more than 40 files (more than I care to count). A typical example:

<font face="Georgia">Dc111.tmp In Folder: C:RECYCLERS-1-5-21-2420192530-and a long string of numbers</font face=georgia>

My questions: Should I have used Shift + Delete to by-pass the Recycle Bin? What is this "Recycler," and how does it differ from the Recycle Bin? (Some files show the Recycle Bin as their file location.) And what should I do next? Also: What about those "system files"?

Thank you!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deleting temp files (2003)

You can ignore the files in C:RECYCLER...; they have been moved to the Recycle Bin and don't affect Microsoft Word any more.
    The folder that you mention *is* your Recycle Bin. S-1-5-21-... is the internal ID of your Windows user. Another user on your PC would have a different ID, and a different Recycle Bin folder.
    In general, it should be OK to delete .tmp etc. files.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deleting temp files (2003)

Thank you, Hans!