Thread: Echo in sound

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Echo in sound

A friend recently bought a new Dell Vostro 200 desktop. His sound comes with an echo. I tried a different set of speakers but still get the echo. I went into SOUNDS in control panel and changed all kinds of settings with no change. Still getting the echo. He has a logitech webcam and I unplugged it and also disabled the microphone. No change - still get the echo. Is it possible that the integrated sound card has a problem? I am considering installing a free standing sound card (which I already have so no $ are involved). Any other suggestions or has anyone else encountered a similar problem?

Thanks

Re: Echo in sound

According to this thread at TechTalkz:
    <hr>Check your sound card settings. It sounds like it may be set on Concert Hall. What it is called depends on what sound card or chip you have on your machine.<hr>

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your prompt reply. I should have mentioned that my friend is running windows XP. The sound card is integrated in the motherboard. On his order slip, it is labeled "integrated 7.1 channel audio". How would I check the settings on it?

Thanks

Have a look at the Sound and Audio Devices setting in the Control Panel - there may be a 'Concert Hall' type setting there...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (29.8 KB, 0 views)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Not that I had this problem, but it reminds me of the "Sound Manager" that comes with my sound drivers (on board Realtek).

My little "problem" was that it loaded this Sound Manager to no use (since I don't change sound characteristics or sing Karaoke every day). So it was sitting in the tray (Notification Area, whatever) with no setting to stop from loading at boot time (a temp. solution was to open it by clicking the tray and then minimize it to the Taskbar and right-click close), so I stopped it from running with Autoruns from MSFT.

So, beside Leif's tip; check Control Panel if you can find any other Sound related item, such as my "Sound Manager".

(How I love such OEM sites; almost impossible to quick and easy find detailed info. about the motherboard for a particular model. It seems to be an Intel G33 Express chipset, at least, but I guess you know that.)

But I think it's odd to get such a setting without selecting it. (Who comes up with these sound schemes? Padded Cell, Sewer Pipe?)
    Attached Images Attached Images