4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

read only not 'sticking' (XP)

I have 2 excel files which I copied from a CD to my hard drive. I made them read-only so I would overwrite them. I then copied them to the server. They showed up on the server without the read only attribute. If I right click on the server files and reset the attribute to read only and click apply, I get the hourglass symbol and I then click on ok. When I right click on the server file, it's reverted back to being a non read only file.

Any ideas why this might be occurring and how I can protect these files from being overwritten?

thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: read only not 'sticking' (XP)

I don't know what "server environment" you're talking about here, but (with an un-modified copy for backup!) are you sure the files are NOT read only and what you're dealing with is a "display" problem? Try to modify one to see if it truly is not read only. What OS is on the server in question?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: read only not 'sticking' (XP)

"Any ideas why this might be occurring and how I can protect these files from being overwritten?"

This may be caused by the permissions of your account on the server.
    Generally, Windows strips "read only" attribute when copying files (your files were "read only" on the CD, but not on your local drive after you copy them). This behavior is by design.

To protect your share on the server, contact your server administrator.
    If you are the server administrator, logon to the server to the account with Administrator rights and restrict permission to modify files to the folder where these files are for all user groups (or users) except Administrators.
    You can also assign your account to separate user group and restrict permissions to write and modify files on your share for all other user groups.