New Lounger
    Thanks

Shell Redirect doesn't work (EN/VB 6.5)

All,

Here is a fragment of VBA code running under Excel whose purpose is to execute the text2pcap program (from Wireshark.org), which it does.

sInputPath = sPath
    iX = InStrRev(sPath, ".") ' Find the file extension separator
    sOutputPath = Left(sPath, iX) & "pcap"
    ' Now quote the paths as CMD.exe can't handle embedded spaces
    sInputPath = sQt & sInputPath & sQt
    sOutputPath = sQt & sOutputPath & sQt
    sArgs = sArgs & " " & sInputPath & " " & sOutputPath & " 2>C:WINDOWSTempstderr.txt"
    vTaskID = Shell("text2pcap" & sArgs, vbNormalNoFocus)

The problem is that though it actually calls text2pcap and prodduces the output, it does not redirect Stderr to the file stderr.txt. If I set a break at the last line and copy sArgs and then paste it into the CMD box, I do get a stderr.txt. Does running a dos program under shell redefine the handles or the like? I tried using a 3> redirect and still got nothing.

Thanks,

sonoflawrence

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shell Redirect doesn't work (EN/VB 6.5)

Have you tried a Shell instruction with a literal string instead of a variable filled by concatenating bits and pieces? If so, does that work as intended?

(And a belated welcome to Woody's Lounge, by the way)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hello HansV

Yes, I tried several variations on the theme, even varying the Handle # in the assumption that the Shell environment renumbered them.

The good news is that I have a solution. I can't give an exact snippet since I am away from the office, but this DOES WORK!

Shell (cmd /c arguments 2>stderr_file, vbHide)

I suppose that shelling cmd.exe allows it to run an app. in a comfortable environment.

On a more personal note, I have many times found whati needed in the various forums over a few years, so I never felt moved to post before. This is, I hope, a tribute to the breadth and depth of solutions and answers contained in these forums.

sonoflawrence

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm glad you found a solution.
    Thanks for your kind words!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

You are very welcome. BTW, I shouldn't post after 6 PM due to the flagging of my braim cells. I failed to quote the call to cmd.exe and the /C switch. If you need to see what is going on for debugging purposes, use a /K switch, thus:

vTaskID = Shell("cmd /K" & sBat, vbNormalFocus) where sBat is all of the arguments. In my case it was a call to text2pcap and all of its arguments.

Cmd.exe actually recognizes quite a few switches. Try this in a DOS box: >cmd /?

Cheers,

Sonof lawrence