Thread: marking replies

mramsundar

marking replies

I am using Outlook 2000. Sometimes the mark my replies option works and sometimes it doesn't. Does anyone know why?
    Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: marking replies

it's an RTF only feature and you reply in the format the message arrived as.

it might work on html too, now that i think about it.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Any way to control the format of incoming e-mail that they're all automatically in RTF format?
    Daisy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it's actually quite easy, since just touching the body property of a message converts it to RTF.

there is a macro at http://www.slipstick.com called zaphtml that converts html messages. you could work from that and do plain text too.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Doesn't really answer it. In-house e-mail is exchanged in Outlook RTF format. Mark With Comments and highlight both work just fine. Incoming outside Internet e-mail arrives either as plain text or HTML, not RTF. If I read your answer right, I think you're saying if I reply to one of these Internet messages and click inside the body of that message it should change it to RTF? It doesn't. Even if I go to the Format menu and tell it to change to RTF or HTML the Mark With Comments and highlight still don't work. This didn't happen before with Outlook 97. We didn't change anything on Exchange Server 5.5, just changed to Outlook 2000. Maybe there's a way to force all incoming Internet e-mail into RTF format if not from inside Outlook then perhaps server side?
    Daisy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

sorry, that's not what i meant. touching it using programming code changes it. that's why zaphtml converts to rtf instead of plain text. since html does mark comments, only plain text messages need touched and you could probably work off zaphtml to convert plain text to RTF. (You can't convert to html) Be aware that RTF is not recommended for internet mail since only outlook can read it.

to do it manually, you need to open the message, edit > edit message, change to rtf and save. then reply. it should work ok. that's a lot of work though [img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Outlook97 didn't do html either, so i'm sure something changed in the editing engine. I know mark comments only worked in RTF, but can't remember if switching after hitting reply made a difference.

not sure if you can force it server side. you can control outbound formats though.