2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Print Area Display (Excel 2003, SP2)

You know how when you set a Print Area in Excel, the display shows a dashed line indicating the defined print area (not page break preview, just the dashed line)? I have a document that has a dynamic print area, and as you add data to the sheet, the dashed line USED to move appropriately, so you always knew what was going to be included in the printed copy. Earlier this week, It just stopped showing the line. Any idea what setting or formatting choice might make this disappear? For Excel in general, it still works correctly. It is just this one sheet. New sheets added to the same workbook are okay, also. It's not a major issue, but I'd like it to work the way it is supposed to work. Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Print Area Display (Excel 2003, SP2)

Does the dashed outline of the print area return if you print preview the sheet?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I should have mentioned. It does not reappear when you print preview, print, preview page breaks, reset the print area manually, or reset it via code. I tried removing all shading on the sheet, all borders around cells, and unfreezing the panes. Nothing. It was there the other day, and then I made some modifications to the sheet, and it was gone. And it has stayed gone, on my machine and on others. It is a convenience, not a deal breaker, but I want it back! I have to distribute to my users on Monday, and I want it to work as expected, darn it. Thanks!

--Karyl

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you make a copy of the workbook with just the one sheet, and attach it to a reply? You can remove most or even all data.

Thanks

Do you have scaled-to-fit set in Page Setup? That certainly prevents it from showing in 2002.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (8.7 KB, 0 views)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's it! I thought I had it set at 80%, but at some point, it must have been changed to Auto-Fit. Many thanks!

But now I have a new problem. I have a dynamic print area set up as =OFFSET('Billing Recap'!R1C1,0,0,25,COUNTA(Phases)+5). This does exactly what I intended. I've told the users that they can overwrite the print area if necessary when needed, because I reset it every time they open the workbook. However, what I didn't realize is that ANY change to the Page Setup seems to overwrite my print area. Generally, I suspect this will be okay, since the users will only change the Page Setup when they're done entering data and are ready to print, so the area will be set already. And it will reset when they re-open. But is there a way to prevent this from happening?

--Karyl

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could set the print area in the Workbook_BeforePrint event procedure in the ThisWorkbook module of the workbook. The BeforePrint event will fire whenever the user prints or print previews one or more sheets.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think I'm going to have to rely on explaining the functionality and limitations to the users. On this particular sheet, there are times when the users WILL need to print more than the standard print area I've established with the dynamic settings, so BeforePrint won't work. Thanks!