4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attachments (OE6)

Recently a friend sent several emails with attachments. Some were .pps files, some were .wmv files. I subsequently used the Clean Up facility in TweakIE to remove temporary internet files. I now cannot open any of the .wmv files but I can open the .pps files. I had always thought that clearing the temporary internet files was good housekeeping, but it now appears it can have unforseen results. Would anyone like to comment?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Attachments (OE6)

Can you save the .wmv attachments to hard disk? If so, can you open them from disk?

Also see Outlook Express and Windows XP Service Pack 2: Several Problems or Superior Protection?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I can and they do open from disk. Strangely, after rebooting the PC I can now open them from Outlook Express as well, something I could not do before. Before I did the clean up the files were in a directory similar to Cocuments and SettingsUserLocal SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5YH2OEJF2. They no longer appear in such a directory. I am totally confused as to what has been happening.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just like e-mail messages, attachments are stored in the Outlook Express .dbx file for the folder containing the message (such as Inbox.dbx). When you open an attachment directly from a message, OE saves the attachment in a subfolder of your Temporary Internet Files. Presumably OE keeps track of which attachments have been saved to disk during a session, and clearing the Temporary Internet Files folder confused it.