Thanks

Backup Copy of Hard Disk With No Partition (XP Pro

I inadvertently deleted the partition information on a 500 GB NTFS SATA drive, my data storage drive. My OS, programs, and documents are on a 70 GB RAID 0 pair.

I used the evaluation version of Partition Table Doctor and established that the data storage drive appears to have all the files intact (Browse Root.)

I have a new, freshly formatted 500 GB NTFS SATA drive installed.

Can I copy the information on the data storage drive to the new drive, just to make sure that I don't mess up and lose the data? I've seen this suggested, but have not been told how it is done.

If I can do this, will I have a second disk that is exactly the same as the first, i.e., all the data is there but there is no file allocation table to say how to get to it?

Once I've accomplished this, I am more comfortable trying to restore the partition on the data storage drive (or the copy.)

Thanks,
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Thanks

Re: Backup Copy of Hard Disk With No Partition (XP Pro

I may be wrong but I don't think you can copy a partition that doesn't really exist ( deleted ) to another location. You could try a partition recovery program but that still doesn't give you a COPY beforehand.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Backup Copy of Hard Disk With No Partition (XP Pro

Try searching google for products used by security experts who need to make forensic copies of disks, for example a product like this.

StuartR

Thanks

Re: Backup Copy of Hard Disk With No Partition (XP

Thank you Stuart and Viking for your prompt replies.

Yesterday I 'bit the bullet' and used TestDisk, a very nice freeware utility that did the trick. There is a useful description on the "TechSupportForum" at:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-s...r-computer.html

The program restored the missing partition information, as advertised!

I recommend it to anyone inattentive enough to have wiped out the partition information on one of their disks. It was especially easy for me as the disk in question was not the one containing the OS and programs, 'just' a 'storage disk' full of things I did not want to lose.

Thanks again,
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.