Star Lounger
    Thanks

Document Accessed Property (2003 SP2)

Hi, I wonder if someone could possibly help me. I have been trying (in vain) to find out information about the Document Property "Accessed". I have been asked to give an assurance that there is no way of finding out the name of someone who accesses a document. I know that if someone opens a document and saves it on the way out then their name is stored in the "Last Saved by" property. I can find nowhere that shows me the name of someone who just opens the document and then closes it so I don't think this information is out there. I was also convinced that this also updates the "Accessed" property date but I am not finding this always to be the case, it seems to be haphazard. I was wondering if anyone possibly had anything solid on this? As usual, I can find nothing on the main Microsoft site! Any help appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document Accessed Property (2003 SP2)

The Accessed property is rather useless, since looking at the document or even looking at its properties in Windows Explorer counts as accessing the document, so the value of Accessed will always be very recent.

If somebody opens a document and closes it without saving, the name of this user is not stored in the document - a clear indication of this is that the last modified date of the document doesn't change. The user leaves some traces, however - the document will have been added to the list of recently opened files for that user, and if the document is stored on a shared network drive, the server may keep a log of who accesses a file.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, that is wonderful thank you very much for your very prompt reply. You guys on this board are awesome !!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

One other point: if you want to delete all traces of who edited a document from the document itself, tick the check box "Remove personal information from file properties on save" in the Security tab of Tools | Options... (this setting applies to the currently active document only). This will also make all comments and tracked changes in the document anonymous.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (13.5 KB, 0 views)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you so much Hans, I shall pass that on

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you turn on auditing for successful file access then you can see who has accessed which file in your security event logs. This may be an issue if you are trying to promise that no one will be able to find out this information.

StuartR

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that Stuart, i'll make note