Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't update a pivot table (Excel 2003)

I'm not sure if this is an Access question or an Excel question. Here is the situation:

A database was created in Access 97. Pivot tables were programatically created from that data base. They worked (and updated) without problems.

The database was converted from Access 97 format to Access 2000 format. Access 97 was taken off the machine and replaced with Access 2003. The pivot table was still progrmatically created, but now, when clicking on the refresh button, we receive an error message that the data cannot be updated. We can manually create the pivot table in Excel 2003 from the Access 2000 database and all is well, i.e. the pivot table is able to be updated and refreshed.

Here is the real problem: If you put the Access 97 program back on the machine, the pivot table programatically created from the (now) Access 2000 database can be refreshed in Excel 2003.

Take the executable off the computer, the pivot table can be refreshed. Put it back on, the pivot table can be refreshed.

Why does Access 97 have a hold on a database that it can no longer even open?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't update a pivot table (Excel 2003)

Are you sure that the pivot table that is created programmatically refers to the converted database and not to the original Access 97 database?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure that it does, as the original 97 database was converted using the conversion utility in 2003. You know, you open a 97 database in 2003 and it asks you if you want to convert the database. I am assuming (not always a safe thing in Access) that the conversion utility doesn't leave anything behind.

I was thinking that this problem was more of a registry problem, in that the pivot table was using some sort of registry key to figure out which version of Access it should use to requery the database. Then again, I always blame the registry when I can't figure out why one application does not pass off information cleanly to another application.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The conversion doesn't remove the original database. It creates a *new* database in the Access 2002/2003 format and leaves the Access 97 database unchanged.
    So it seems likely that the code that creates the pivot table still refers to the original Access 97 database.