2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Subset of table fields (2003)

Hi, I have a main table containing a several dozen fields of client information, and most of the several hundred records use most of the fields. I now want to begin making use of another form, that will work with a small subset of records, maybe a dozen or 2, and only use a small number of those original fields (names, address, phone numbers etc) but also add a couple of dozen new fields that will only contain data for that subset of records. In other words, the majority of the original records will NOT contain data in these new fields.

What is the best design approach for this? I am wondering if the most sensible (or only) option is simply adding the new fields to the original table, understanding that there will be plenty of blank fields in most records. Or is there a better approach, some method of joining a second table containing the additional fields for this subset of records? If so what is the brief outline of how to do this?

Thank you for any pointers in the right direction.
    Roger

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Subset of table fields (2003)

What is the purpose of the new fields? If you want to add alternative addresses and phone numbers, for example, it might be a good idea to create a separate table for *all* addresses and phone numbers, both the existing ones and the alternative ones. That way, you can add multiple addresses for a single client. But if the fields contain completely new information, I'd add the new fields to the original table. Blank fields hardly take up space, so it doesn't matter if these fields will be empty in the majority of the records.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Subset of table fields (2003)

Thanks Hans, it is new info so makes sense to just add the new fields to the original table. Thanks for your advice.
    Roger