5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

Severe slow down (2007 SP1)

My Access Dbs started running extra slow on my main computer. What should take 1 second, now takes 1 minute! I have tried everything, all to no avail. I have even uninstalled Office 2003 and installed Office 2007, but that made no difference – still v slow. There were 2 apps that I installed about that time. Uninstalling these makes no diff. About the same time I installed a new HD, power supply, case and NVidia graphics card. I have updated my graphics card driver to the latest, but Access still runs slow.
    I have done a repair Office twice. The first time it did seem to fix the problem, but only for about half an hour. The second time it made no diff.
    Any ideas anyone, this is driving me crazy.
    Regards,
    Peter

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Severe slow down (2007 SP1)

Everything else on your computer runs at normal speed? Access is the only problem?
    What happens if you create a brand new little test database, with just a bit of data and an autoform. Does that run quickly or is that slow as well?

Before you uninstalled 2003 were you running both 2003 and 2007, or just 2003?

I have had at least one case of a computer that just runs really slowly with Access 2007, and nothing seems to fix it.

If you open Task Manager and look at Performance, what do you see? in my problem case, CPU usage jumped to 50% the moment Access 2007 started, even with the smallest possible db.
    Regards
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dealing with the same issue forever! Our Server is too small and too far so if I need to use linked tables - forget it!
    However changing Oracle ODBC driver to MSOracle ODBC driver helped a bit.
    Also I am taking time making tables local and creating from there. Headache but were said - no changes ahead.
    Feeling your pain! Good luck.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Don’t know if this will shed any light on your situation.

Following is a conservation I had recently with one of my Novell clients that all of a sudden their Access app started running slow.

It ended up being a faulty router

If you try coping a large file say 65MB from server to workstation, then workstation to server it should take about 5 seconds each way

HTH, John

04/03/08

Hi Cindi

This is the same issue we talked about several days ago.

The system has been working OK up until last week; nothing has changed on my end.

All of a sudden the workstation to server system is running sluggish.

The Refresh Clerk’s Program Icon use to take 5 seconds to run; now it takes 10 minutes.

This scripts simply copies J:ClerkNbsClerkMast_PrgClerk.mdb (65MB) to C:NbsA2kFe

It has nothing to do with the Clerk’s Accounting System or Microsoft Access.

Until the Refresh is working correctly (running under 5 seconds) you are going to continue to have performance problems between the workstation and the server running the Clerk’s Accounting System.

We had this problem over a year ago; I mentioned to Alan several things that may cause a sluggish system:

1. Faulty NIC cards, hubs, routing switches or wiring.
    2. Something new introduced into the system, Novell, Antivirus, Microsoft updates.
    3. Do they all have the same settings on the virus protection?
    4. Client for Novel Network has changed.
    5. Novell configuration changes.
    6. Do a network trace to see what kind of traffic is going to can coming from that box
    7. Use Lanalyzer to check traffic.

The problem was evenly fixed and I was never informed what the fix was.

Some things you might want to check:

Open File Is Slow When Using Novell IntranetWare Client
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q173815/

Search on: Novell running slow

To optimize your connections, verify Duplex settings on your NIC; disable DFS support if not used; disable IE offline browsing; if you use Novell, disable unused protocol search methods. For more information, see Enhance MS/Novell Client Performance.

Let me know.

John
    04/15/08 Refresh Clerk’s Program was taking 2 minutes
    04/30/08 Refresh Clerk’s Program was taking 16 minutes 7:30am
    05/15/08 Refresh Clerk’s Program was taking 5 seconds

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have refined the problem. As you suggested, I created a new Db. I used a 6000 record table copied from the troublesome back end. I also copied one of the forms from a troublesome front end. All worked fine, running as it should. I then tried other Dbs that I have created over the years. All ran fine on the problem computer.
    So it appears that it is only the 2 main Dbs that I use all the time. These are linked to a replicated backend Db on the main computer (there is no server). The back end is replicated to 2 other computers. The 2 main front end Dbs are terribly slow on the main computer. I loaded some old copies of these front ends from way before the slowdown. Strangely these old copies ran v slow too. I loaded an old version of the back end. The 2 main Dbs still ran v slow using this old copy of the backend Db. I copied the 2 front end Dbs to one of my other computers (these run Access 2003). After fixing the references these ran at the correct speed.
    (The v slow Dbs also ran v slow on Access 2003 - hence my upgrade to 2007 in an attempt to fix the problem.)
    I have decompiled the Dbs. Made no diff - still v slow.
    Before I uninstalled Office 2003 I had both 2003 & 2007 running. I just assumed that the 2007 installation routine would uninstall 2003.
    HELP
    Regards,
    Peter

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the thoughts, but the only time the network is used is when synchronising. See reply above.
    Regards,
    Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I don't know what to suggest! I have no experience with replication.

From what you say, there does not seem to be any networking. The back-end is on the same machine as the front-end . Is that right?
    How big is the back-end? Has it been compacted recently?
    Have you tried making a new front-end and importing everything from the current front-end into it?
    Regards
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John, thanks for the concern.
    The replicated back ends are on the same machines as the 2 front ends. The 2 front end sizes are 3.8 MB & 5.7 MB. The size of the replicated back end is 32.5 MB. All sizes are after compaction. I compact all Dbs regularly. I also regularly (once a month) change the retention period of the back end from 1000 days to 1 day and back to 1000 days. This removes the build up of altered data, considerably reducing the Db size.
    In my experience importing problem Db elements has NEVER worked, not once. I have always had to rebuild them. In the case of the 2 problem Dbs this would take months of work. However, as copying the entire front end from my laptop (where the Dbs work just as they should) gave the same problems, I would say that it would be a futile effort.
    So I'm still stuck. Boy am I stuck.
    Regards,
    Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Peter

What format are all the databases in? You are using 2007, but the DBs could be in 2000, 2003 or 2007 format. Are the FEs and BEs all in the same format?

One thing I have done occasionally to fix unspecified problems is to convert to another version, then convert straight back again.

Are you saying that importing everything into a new db does not work at all, or just does not solve the problem?
    Regards
    John

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John
    The Dbs are all in 2003 format. I am using Office 2007 on the problem computer and 2003 on the other two. The problem was also present using Office 2003 on the problem computer before upgrading.
    I converted the front ends to 2007. In 2007 the slow down was even worse. I then converted them back to 2003. In 2003 there was no change from the original 2003, still v slow.
    My comments re importing are based on my experience of fixing forms & reports gone bad. Simply copying and pasting the contents of a form to a new form, has never worked for me. The problems always go along with the copy/paste.
    In this case, I have copied the entire Dbs from another computer, but even though working perfectly on the other computer, when imported they slow down terribly.
    Regards,
    Peter

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have fixed the problem. But haven't a clue as to what caused it.
    I reverted to a three month old image of my C: drive. Then spent the better part of a day bringing it up to the state it was in as far as programs etc are concerned. And it works flawlessly, no delays, everything spot on. Yet not the faintest hint as to what was causing the problem. It is strange as reverting to a two month old image (a full month before the problem manifested), didn't fix the problem.
    I am now back with Office 2003 and will stay there - 2007 has too many restrictions and makes my work too difficult.
    Thanks all for your thoughts and sympathies.
    Regards,
    Peter