Thread: Free Photos

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Free Photos

Woody's Lounges have helped me with every other computer issue I've ever had so thought I'd see if their Loungers can help with this rather offbeat question:

Question: how do you find sources for free photographs to use on a Web site or in a product? I've been trying to search via Google, but am so new to this that I'm getting nowhere fast. Royalty-free ones seem to be available, but you still have to pay a hefty price initially.

Not sure if I'm just not searching correctly or if my quest is an impossible one! Any suggestions? Thanks for any input.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Free Photos

Any image you use commercially, one should pay the rights to use them.

What kind of images are you looking for?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Oh. Guess that makes sense. I was trying to save $$ as we have no funding as yet. Any idea how much these things cost?

I'm looking for golf related photos.

Thanks for your reply, Dave. I remember you from past "issues".

Linda

Thanks

There is a site often linked from Wikipedia that has photos licensed under terms similar to Wikipedia itself. For example, in some cases you just have to give an appropriate photo credit. You can search here:
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by IreneLinda on 30-Apr-08 20:57. Added P.S. with my results.)</P>Thanks, jscher (whom I also remember from earlier problems and posts - you guys help everywhere!). That sounds more like what I was hoping for. Am going to search the link you provided now and let you know of my results.

Linda

P.S. Just finished searching through 1298!! photos related to golf (well, actually, half of them related to the car, VW's Golf, and I couldn't remember how to eliminate the car from my search!). I see what you mean about terms and it looks as if a number of them could work out perfectly for us. Thank you so much!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Istock has royalty free photos from as little as $1. Price depends on the size.
    And they have lots of Golf ones.
    Regards
    John

Thanks

And have a look at Fotolia - you pay what I consider a very reasonable amount, depending on the size/resolution of the image and what you want to use it for.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by IreneLinda on 01-May-08 13:09. Added P.S. question.)</P>Another great site and source. You're right, John, they have some fabulous golf shots. Thank you!

Linda

P.S. A further thought and question: what is the "usability" status of the ClipArt available from Microsoft's gallery? There are a few decent golf photos there, but I can't figure out their license agreement as to if we have to pay to use in a software program.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Leif, Great photos there, too. I am very new to this (as you can tell!). What is "a fair price"? Are we talking a couple of dollars? A couple of hundred dollars? A discounted price depending on the number of photos needed? I'm finding it challenging to figure these things out from the sites themselves. Also, in some cases, price seems to depend on size and I have no idea what size we will need! Duh.

Thanks

As I said, the price depends on the size and what you want to do with it.
    Search on 'Golf', select a picture, click on the licence type you want and the price comes up - just hover your mouse over the licence details on the right and it explains what you can and cannot do. The example below costs from $1, and you can use it for most purposes. If you click on the link to the Licenses and Uses, you are given a chart showing what the licence covers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (28.7 KB, 1 views)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Lief, what fantastic information!! Thank you, too, for the wonderfully helpful screen shot. I now feel much more comfortable looking for pictures when I can see right away what each will cost. As I have said before, this Lounge is absolutely the best thing I've ever found on-line. It's been my "IT department" for a number of years. Don't know how small businesses or lone operators who haven't discovered it manage! I sure couldn't (and, luckily, I don't have to!). Now, back to those photos ...

Linda