New Lounger
    Thanks

Form fields disappear after merge (Word 2004 for M

I created a fill-in form with merge fields. When I merge the document, the form fields disappear. When I preview the document, they remain but when I Save As, it still looks for the merge data. Please tell me there's a way to merge the document into a new document and keep the fill-in form fields.

Thank you for any info.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form fields disappear after merge (Word 2004 for M

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

This is a known problem. See Text form fields are not retained during mail merge in Word (this is for Word for Windows, but I suppose it works for Word for Macintosh too)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form fields disappear after merge (Word 2004 f

Hi there,

Thank you for the info. I have to admit, it's a little over my head. I have nearly 30 pages of fill-in forms in one document that I need to merge with different client's info. The forms are then protected, therefore only allowing the client to enter text in the form fields. I've never used placeholders before and don't quite understand how I replace the placeholders back when I go back to the original document. Also, I've only used macros in the most basic way. That code makes me nervous.

Would you possibly be able to explain it in a way that would make it somewhat easier to understand?

Thanks again!
    Bunok

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You don't have to do much yourself - you only need to copy the two macros from the MSKB article into a code module in a document or template, then open or activate the merge document with form fields and merge fields, then run the first macro. This macro will replace the form fields with placeholders for you, perform the mail merge, then restore the form fields.

New Lounger
    Thanks

From the document, I went into VB and added the code. Then I ran the macro from VB and I keep getting an error: Sub or Function not defined and it highlights doFindReplace. Do you know what this error means?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You need to copy the code for doFindReplace from the Macro2 section in the same MSKB article and paste it into the same code module.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Hans. You are an angel.

bunok