Star Lounger
    Thanks

Best way to link to an Excel chart (2007)

What is the best way to link a chart into a Word document?

I have a large Excel sheet with several charts. I would like to have the charts appear in a Word document with the data linked back to the spreadsheet. The default cut and paste operation almost works. Unfortunately, it links back to the Excel data rather than to the Excel chart. This means that if I insert a new line into the Excel data, then update the chart in the Word document, everything is messed up because it is now picking up the data from the wrong line. As for the 'paste as' options, none of the link options seem to work. They all produce a chart showing only half the image.

Is there a way to get the Word document to actually link to the Chart in the Excel sheet? Alternatively, can I force the chart in the Word document to pick its data up from a named range rather than a row/column position? Any other suggestions?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Best way to link to an Excel chart (2007)

In the first place, make sure that the Excel sheet containing the chart is displayed at 100%, I've read that other zoom percentages may cause the linked chart in Word to update incorrectly.
    The procedure to paste link a chart into Word is:
    - Open your Excel spreadsheet.
    - Click once on the chart that you want to copy. This should select the chart.
    - On the Home tab, in the Clipboard group, click Copy.
    - Switch to your Word document.
    - Place the insertion point where you want the chart.
    - On the Home tab, in the Clipboard group, click the arrow on the Paste button and click Paste Special.
    - Select the Paste Link radio button.
    - Microsoft Excel Chart Object should be the only available format.
    - Click OK.

If the chart is too large to fit on the page (so that parts appear to be missing):
    - Click once on the chart to select it.
    - Resize it, either by dragging one of the black "handles" in the corners of the chart, or by using the commands on the Format tab of the ribbon.

The chart should adjust automatically if you edit, insert or delete data in the source data of the chart in Excel.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. This seems to be the way to go.

It works for charts on the worksheet, but not for charts on a separate sheet (which was what I was originally trying to link). When I link these, I get a large amount of white space around the chart (Word won't let me get into the picture tools to crop it).

Also, the 100% zoom does seem to be important. You also need to make sure the zoom is still at 100% on the worksheet if you update the link while the worksheet is open.

PS your comment that "Microsoft Excel Chart Object should be the only available format" is not quite correct (on Word 2007 sp1). I also have "Picture (windows metafile)", "bitmap" and "Microsoft office graphic object". However Picture seems to give the same result, and the other two produce error messages!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I had a chart on a worksheet in mind when I wrote my previous reply. When I paste special an Excel chart sheet as a link, I do also get other format options in Word 2002, but when I start from a chart on a worksheet, I only get the "Microsoft Excel chart object" option.

I prefer using charts on a worksheet, because I can size the chart the way I want it to be, so that I won't have to resize it in Word. A chart sheet is always much too large when pasted into a Word document, so that resizing is necessary, causing text to shrink etc.