Lounger
    Thanks

Viewing Tables (2007)

I have a database used in the office that is used to store required training for employees. The database is connected to a personnel file that contains confidential information such as SSN's, addresses, job grades, etc. that need to remain hidden to most employees. Another file was set up to allow individuals to look up their information and was set up so that they did not have a menubar and they had to know their SSN to look up their data. The problem is that some of the employees found out they could hold down the shift key while opening the database and have access to all the information in the tables. Consequently the privacy of information requirement has been broken so we can no longer allow individuals to view their training information. Is there some way to hide the tables so they cannot be viewed?
    Thanks in advance.
    Jim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Viewing Tables (2007)

You can use code to disable the Shift key as a means to bypass the startup options. See <post:=181,926>post 181,926</post:>.
    But someone who is handy with Access will still be able to get at the information, for example by creating a new database and linking to the tables in the protected database.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

There are several things that can be done, but if done piece-meal they can be easily circumvented. I suggest you get Garry Robinson's book "Real World Microsoft Access Database Protection and Security". This will show you how to lockdown a database (without using Access security) so only an experience programmer will be able to get to get beyond what you want them to see.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark. Where is the best place to find the book you recommended.
    Jim

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

For example at Amazon.com: Real World Microsoft Access Database Protection and Security: Garry Robinson: Books, but large or specialized bookshops may well have it in stock too.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I think you can find it at most of the bigger sites: bn.com, amazon.com, etc. I highly recommend it; what you learn in the first 2 chapters will more than cover the cost!
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.