4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

2 Instances after reboot (2003)

I have a strange anomaly that occurs with Word (as well as Access and Excel) EVERYTIME I start my computer. When I click on the application icon (i.e. Word) it opens but appears to lock up. When I open the task manager, there are always two instances fo the app running, at least one, but sometimes both show to be :Not responding".

I can wait anywhere from 3 minutes to 12 minutes and the app unfreezes, and there is only a single instance fo the app running. If I try to open any other Office app during the "Freeze" time, it too opens two instances in the Task Manager. Once any one of the Office apps unfreezes, I can open any other Office app without any difficulty and with only a single instance showing in the Task Manager. In other words, if I open Word and wait for it to unfreeze, then open Excel or Access, they open and run fine.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Ken

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 2 Instances after reboot (2003)

Does this only happen if you start an Office application soon after Windows starts, or does the problem also occur if your PC has been on for, say, 10 or 20 minutes?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I have waited at times before opening, but never 10-20 minutes. I usually wait for the cpu usage to drop off for a while before I open anything. I open Task Manager automatically and watch the CPU usage history. I can and have opened other applicaitons (e.g. Opera browser) which open and run fine. It is only the Office apps that freeze. My hard drive is 30% full, and defragged. This just starte happening a couple of weeks ago. I haven't loaded any new software and only my BitDefenter security and Microsoft updates have been loaded during that time. The problem is I don't know exact date this started, so I can't link it to any specific update.

Thanks!

Ken

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you reboot your PC, wait 10 minutes and start Word (or Excel) to see what happens?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I did reboot, and waited 12 minutes after I logged in. Then I opened Excel. It froze initially, Task Manager showed two instances. Nine and one half minutes later one instance went away, and I was able to enter numbers into a cell. I opened Excel, and not an Excel document.

Thanks,

Ken

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, that rules out specific startup problems. Do you see any processes taking up a lot of CPU time in the Processes tab of Task Manager while Word or Excel is unresponsive? Is it Word/Excel itself, or a security program, or ...?

Other things you can try:
    - Temporarily turn off your anti-virus program to see if it makes a difference. Don't forget to turn it back on!
    - Select Help | Detect and Repair from within any Office application.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"System Idle Process" uses ~92-95%, Task Manager uses 0-3%, Excel/Word uses 0-1%, svchose.exe uses 0-1%.

I have tried turning off BitDefender, both with and without internet connection with same or similar results.

I didn't think about the Repair.

I'll try that.

BTW - any idea why task manager shows mulitiple instances on the "Applications" tab until the app "unfreezes"?

Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It could be that the application is displaying (or trying to display) a dialog, this could cause a second instance to appear in the Applications tab.
    This gives me an idea: does pressing Alt+Tab repeatedly while the application is frozen bring a dialog to the front? not very likely, but who knows...