Thanks

Can router say who is downloading lots?

This needs a bit more explanation, but what I am after is a sort of router "show and tell" feature!

A work colleague is suddenly finding that she is being billed by her ISP for excessive amounts of data downloads during each month. She's pretty certain that it isn't the ethernet-connected family PC which is doing this, but suspects it may be the lodger's PC's wireless connection. I thought it might instead be someone from a nearby house piggy-backing onto the router, and assumed that no wireless security had been set up on the router. In fact I find by a bit of snooping outside with a "wi-fi hotspot finder" that it is using WEP - pretty rubbish, but better than nothing at all. And the wireless signal doesn't extend very far to the area outside the house.

So my question is, does anyone know of a router whose logs will display the amount of data transferred to/from each MAC address (or IP address) over time? Sadly this is a non-mainstream-manufacturer router, and I can't find anything in the manual about this sort of feature...

(My next action will be to install SP3 on both machines, and see whether the lodger's PC's wireless card supports WPA-PSK, which is the best security provided by the wireless router.)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can router say who is downloading lots?

I suspect you would need a very expensive "manageable" router, rather than a domestic one.

StuartR

Thanks

Hmmm. I thought as much. But with many/most ISPs imposing data transfer limits, I can see this being a 'useful feature' to be included in home routers. Things like NetMeter are fine - but only collect information for the PC on which they are installed, of course.
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have had the same problem, when one laptop in the house was running a peer-to-peer download application - there was no way to work out which device was responsible.

StuartR

Thanks

Could you run a (30-day free) trial of Wingate to get the information you are after? (I didn't read far so I don't know exactly what is involved...)

Thanks

I suppose I could, but since it's not my network, I think it will be less hassle to change the security to WPA!
    BATcher

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Or use an access list that specifically allows the home computers (controlled via MAC addresses).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It is VERY easy to trick MAC address filtering, you just have to collect packets for a while, look to see what MAC addresses are allowed on the network, then change your MAC address to match one that isn't very active.

StuartR