2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Filter by Form (Access 2000)

I created a form with multiple fields. I then created a macro to open that form in "Filter by Form" view. There are a few things I need to do that I am having trouble figuring out:

1) How do I put an "Apply Filter" button on the form? I created a macro to apply the filter, but the button always appears greyed out and you have to use the filter button on the toolbar, instead. I'd much prefer to have a button on the form for that.
    2) I would like to add an option on the filter by form screen to clear all choices. I can't figure that one out either. The "clear all" macro I used doesn't work.

Thanks for your help.

JoeK

Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Filter by Form (Access 2000)

You cannot add any functionality to the built-in Filter By Form. All controls except those bound to fields in the data source are disabled while Filter by Form is active, so a command button on the form won't work. Moreover you can't manipulate the bound controls.

If you really need the extra functionality, you'll have to create a custom form in which the user can specify filter criteria. If you do so, I recommend that you offer only the essential options - trying to recreate the entire Filter by Form feature would be a *lot* of work.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans.

Can you point me to a resource that explains how to build a form where the user can specify filter criteria? I have no idea how to do this.

Thanks,

JoeK

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See for example ACC97: Filter By Form Example for Run-Time Applications Available in the Download Center. The example can be converted to Access 2000 format.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Another article that might be useful: ACC2000: How to Filter a Report from a Pop-Up Form. Although it's intended to filter a report, you can easily adapt it to filter a form.