Lounger
    Thanks

Contacts Fields Properties

How does one change the format mask used in the Outlook 2000 Contacts for phone number? Right now it puts () around the area code unconditionally and won't let me leave them out. I would prefer just dashes such as 111-222-3333 for the phone number edit. I found the form for contacts and found properties and advanced properties for the phone number fields in that form but I don't know what to put in the fields. Nothing I do put in there seems to have any effect on the phone number editing. Also once I do change the form how do I save it so it is used? Do I select File/Save or Publish Form? What is the difference between these two?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Contacts Fields Properties

you'll probably need to make your own phone number field with the field formatting as you want.

you'll need to publish then set it as the default form. right click on the folder to set the form.

you'll need the switch forms utility to apply the new form to exisiting contacts. instructions are at http://www.slipstick.com and in a KB at Microsoft.

Lounger
    Thanks

So how do I specify the formatting I want? That's the main point of my question. In which property for the phone number field do I put the formatting and what exactly do I put there? So once I have that I then click on Publish rather than File/Save right? What is File/Save for?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

file > save is for templates. publish is better - the forms are stored hidden in the mail folder. Or are you using IMO mode? you can't manage forms with IMO, so if it works ok saved, that might be better. The big difference is if you are using macros, a warning pops up everytime you use the form if not published. With the email security patch installed, macros are disabled unless published.

as for the formatting, since you'll need to use a custom field, is entering the number as you want not acceptable? especially since you are using dashes which are easy to type in.

otherwise the formula you need in the initial value field (properties, value tab) is:
    Format( [yourfield] , "###-###-####" ). I've only ever used formatting in a separate field, field2 reads field1 and formats it properly.
    or use vbscript to parse it.