Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

TweakUAC (Ultimate)

This post may be mostly for Joe Perez since he's the most recent recommender of this but it's been in this forum in a few threads for about a year.

In TweakUAC (free!) there is this statement:
    <hr>If you’ve used TweakUAC, you’ve seen the “quiet” option it offers that lets you suppress the elevation prompts of UAC without turning the UAC off completely.<hr>
    So OK, I've run the program but as soon as I do (and I select their Quiet mode) I get the Vista "red X" in the tray that tells me the UAC has been <big>turned OFF!</big> I can exit that tray item, but upon reboot, it shows up again, so I'm wondering if this so-called quiet mode is not correct. Is the UAC completely turned off? As I've said in other posts, and DaveA has said on numerous occasions, I don't mind a couple of clicks now and then but it would be nice to suppress them. I don't however want to turn UAC off if I can have some level of comfort that it's "watching my back."

Comments?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: TweakUAC (Ultimate)

Are you running as an admin or regular user? I run as an admin.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Me too, Joe. Here's the clip in question.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Al,
    To eliminate that, open Security Center and "Change the way Security Center alerts me".
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John, I saw that but what concerns me is that it will eliminate the tray popup but IS the UAC really turned off? In other words, is TweakUAC really able to elevate silently and leave the UAC turned on?

.............................. some time passes while I do a little Googling ...

Well, hold on a minute. When I downloaded TweakUAC I guess I didn't read quite far enough down the page(s). I just went to this sidebar link: What is TweakUAC? and found this text at the very bottom of the page:
    <hr>Note that if you turn UAC off or switch it to operate in the “quiet” mode, Vista starts displaying a warning message in its taskbar.
    You can turn that message off, though: double-click on the shield icon in the taskbar to open Windows Security Center.
    Then click on the “Change the way Security Center alerts me” link, in the left panel. Finally, choose one of the “Don’t notify me” options.
    <hr>
    So I guess they know what they're doing, but for my comfort level, at least for awhile, I think I'll leave the UAC turned on fully and do a little extra clicking.

Thanks

Actually Al, UAC is NOT turned off.

Open Local Security Policy and expand Security Options. Scroll down until you find "User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval mode". You'll see that it is probably set at "Elevate without prompting". That is the setting for "quiet mode". All this is doing is allowing you to perform administrative functions without the constant prompting. There are still many times when you will be prompted and you will have to give approval for an operation or use the "run as administrator" option.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

I'm sure I did that at home and forgot about it. At work, I'm on a domain so the security center acts differently. When you are logged into a domain the security settings as assumed to be controlled by an domain admin so you aren't notified and by default can not use the security center to change method or notification.
    You can change this on a domain by changing a policy. I just did that and got the same nofitication as you. Unfortunately, with Vista it is an all or nothing as far as notification goes unlike XP.

Joe
    Joe