Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

google maps public transit

I used Google Maps for Public Transit today.
    Wondering if one can travel from the airport to downtown Pittsburgh by Public Transit.
    Here is Google maps introductory video.
    Here's Google's answer: (truncated by me)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 5.JPG (44.9 KB, 1 views)

Thanks

Re: google maps public transit

Google Maps has previously suggested getting from New York to places in Europe by swimming the Atlantic (but it did give you several weeks to do it in). Seemed reasonable to me... Very boringly it now says: "We could not calculate driving directions between New York and London."
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>getting from New York to places in Europe
    Assuredly; but have you tried "public transit" within a city?

Thanks

I don't think that "Public Transit" is yet available in the UK version of Google Maps - and if it does become available it will probably be called "Public Transport".

(Apologies for my posts - I hadn't realised that you posted elsewhere than in Scuttlebutt!)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can plan your public transport route in London at http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/

This example shows how to get from the Science Museum to the Royal Courts of Justice.

regards,

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm. When I try to go to work from 40 Worple Road, Wimbledon, to Willow Lane, Mitcham Junction (little 2-car train from Wimbledon), it seems to send me to or from Abchurch road, and Blackfriars station gets into the act.

I much prefer Mississauga's excellent trip planner, http://www4.mississauga.ca/ClicknRide/
    It's not much good for getting around London, UK, but it beats Toronto's web page, hands down.
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (29.0 KB, 0 views)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>I don't think that "Public Transit" is yet available in the UK version of Google Maps

Call me "Staggered In Pennsylvania". Here's the leading part of Pittsburgh's "Port Authority" response to my enquiry about system maps: "Thank you for contacting Port Authority with your concern. We no longer have any system maps.".
    This means that a couple of tourists who want to use the public transit system to take a look at a truly beautiful city can't just look at a map and decide to "take the 49B bus and check out the west end of the city". It seems to me this is a case of Public Transit being useful for those who know the system but not for those who don't know the system, new arrivals, tourists etc.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reminds me of my appreciation of Thai public transport in Bangkok and you have to keep in mind that I live where there is effectively no public transport.

When I booked our airfares, they came with some accommodation. I picked a hotel from the list (never having been there before) on the basis of getting four nights instead of three based on cost. How else do you make these decisions?

In the mean time Mr Johbot gets stuck into research and finds the Bangkok Post online. He prints out an article about Bangkok having three railway stations - a little know fact to most - and the article describes how to get to the third station and catch the fourth class train across parts of the river delta.

So we get to the hotel and the staff provide us with a map that includes bus numbers. It turns out that if we get the number 5 bus form outside the hotel it will take us exactly to where we want to go!! No changes, no walking. And it was an airconditioned bus.

It was a great little start to a few weeks finding our own way around a wonderful country.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>It turns out that if we get the number 5 bus form outside the hotel it will take us exactly to where we want to go!!

You've talked me into it.
    I shall drive to Bangkok for my weekend away at the end of May.
    (Thanks for lending me your map!)