3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Folder Administration (Outlook 2003 sp3)

I have created a rule which sends mail from a specified sender into a folder named for that sender. The sender sends a series of daily reports which I read on-screen but generally do not need to save, but occasionally need to refer to a back issue.
    In order to help my SysAdmin keep my total folder size down I would like to periodically delete anything older than say 2 or 3 months. When I click on this particular folder, then right-mouse click I see a Properties dialog box with an Archives tab. The setting "Permanently delete old items" appears to be what I am looking for BUT before I select this setting I would like to know if this is really what I'm looking for. 1) I expect that this will clear the "old" items each time I exit Outlook or each day. 2) The item will be deleted and not archived. Is there anything else I should know about this function? If it works as I expect it to I could share the tip with my co-workers about how to set up the process and save our IT guys some headache(s).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Folder Administration (Outlook 2003 sp3)

See Description of the AutoArchive feature in Outlook 2007 and in Outlook 2003 for a description of the AutoArchive feature.

You can choose whether AutoArchive will move items to an archive .pst file or delete them.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans,

I see in the MS Support page section "How to Set the AutoArchive Properties for a Folder". But it actually does not explain beyond Step 6 Move old items to: . . . and that kind of leaves me wondering if there are any tricks or traps I should be aware of.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know what you would expect beyond step 6...

As explained in the article, you can specify default AutoArchive settings as follows:
    - Select Tools | Options...
    - Activate the Other tab.
    - Click AutoArchive...
    You can specify here how often AutoArchive runs, whether it will ask for permission before running, and how to operate:
    - How old items should be before they're archived.
    - Whether you want to move items to another .pst file (to be specified here) or to delete them permanently.

For each Outlook folder, you can specify whether it participates in AutoArchive at all, and if so, it it'll use the default settings described above, or whether it should use individual settings.

So you're in complete control - *you* tell Outlook what to do with old items.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious. I don't want to pass this on to co-workers and then have something unexpected happen.