New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2007 'help' always causes error (Office Enterprise 2007)

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

I'm running Windows XP Home with SP2 and now SP3.
    Having received Office Enterprise 2007, I uninstalled Office XP, then installed 2007 without problems. All programs seem to open and work correctly, except that the "Help" function generates errors. For example: I open Word, click on the Office Button, click on Word Options, and then click on the "?" at the top right. The "Word Help" window starts to open, and, presumably, to load (i.e., the hourglass turns); then, before anything appears in the window, a "Microsoft Office Help Viewer" box opens, saying that "Microsoft Office Help Viewer encountered a problem and needs to close.... etc...." Basically, the same thing happens when I use F1 in any of the apps, as well.
    Thinking that it might be a TSR or something else in the background, I tried using a "clean boot" (as shown, for example, at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353); the same problem occurs, regardless. Through "Add/Remove Programs", I also tried running "Repair Office". It finished successfully... but the problem remains.
    I'd be grateful for any solutions or suggestions.
    You can reach me at davidingre@shaw.ca.
    Many thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 2007 'help' always causes error (Office Enterprise 2007)

Tough problem. The only potentially useful suggestion I was able to find is:
    - Open the Add or Remove Programs control panel.
    - Remove (uninstall) any MSXML parsers you see (I have MSXML 6.0 Parser).
    - Reinstall the MSXML 6.0 parser - it will probably be offered by automatic updates once you've uninstalled it, and you can also get it from Microsoft Update.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    There were three chronologically consecutive iterations of MSXML 4.0; I uninstalled all three. Letting MS Update look for updates did not produce an offer to provide MSXML 6.0; thus, I searched for it, downloaded and installed it, rebooted... and - at least for the moment - the problem seems to have been rectified!
    Many thanks!
    Dave

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    And then again...
    After my having used "Help" a few times, the problem suddenly recurred. I tried Add/Remove's "Repair" function for MSXML 6.0: no joy; I tried removing it again, downloading and installing msxml6.msi again... no joy.
    Do you think it would help if I uninstalled the *entire* Office 2007 Suite, ran a couple of registry cleaners, then reinstalled Office 2007 (all with appropriate reboots, of course)? After all, what better way to spend my time instead of working... :-)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since I have found no other useful suggestions, it might be worth a try to do as you propose.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    I thought you might find the following interest.
    No joy from uninstalling/reinstalling Office 2007. Then, I booted into Safe Mode, opened Word... same problem. I also noted that the error message indicated that CLVIEW.EXE had the problem.

Again in Safe Mode, I opened Word but told it *not* to use MS *on line* help - just what is on my machine... and no problem. I rebooted normally, and changed that setting in PowerPoint, Excel, and Publisher, too. Using only the Help items already on my HD, there's no problem. Interestingly, I can browse (IE7) to MS's Help sites without problem.

Then I noticed that opening Windows Explorer and clicking on Search *likewise* caused an error that required closing the app.

Then I remembered that all this started, I think, just after I'd let Windows Update install SP3...

I've sent an email to the SP3 support site, asking for their take on this.

What would be yours?

THanks again!

Dave

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I have no idea. I hope that Microsoft can help.