2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Duplicate Windows Folder (XP Pro SP3)

One of my XP Pro machines began limping a little while ago and the problem was getting progressively worse, (long boot times, the odd blue-screen, unexplained freezes etc, etc,). With the publication of SP3 of XP this month, I decided to scrub and reinstall the system from scratch using a slipstreamed installation CD. So far, so goodÖ

Whether it was a flaw in my preparation or a problem with the CD, the first attempt at an install failed at an early stage. I re-did the slipstreaming process from scratch and burned another CD and this one ended cleanly, leaving me with a bootable and workable system. Unfortunately, what I forgot to do was to re-scrub the drive to remove traces of the failed installation.

Thus, I had a partial folder called C:Windows and an active folder called C:Windows.0. The former has now been deleted, with seemingly no ill-effects on the machine. The presence of the Windows.0 folder, however, is not good and offends my sense of neatness and order. As Iíve only installed drivers etc. rather than any real applications, it would be the work of but an evening to scrub down and start again from scratch. Before I do that, however, I thought Iíd ask whether there was a simple and foolproof way to correct this, short of a full rebuild.

I can use BartPE to boot into a partial Windows environment and rename the folder, but Iím not sure whether Iíll be able to do a universal search and replace in the Registry to change all occurrences of Windows.0 to Windows. Thereís also the various .ini and possibly .log files to address, too.

Is anyone aware of a foolproof method, or better yet a tool that will do what I want? I know Iím being rather lazy but I thought Iíd ask on the off-chance. A full re-installation is such a tedious process.

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Duplicate Windows Folder (XP Pro SP3)

I think you'd be better off starting from scratch. In the end, it might well be faster than trying to repair what you have now, with the chance that you've missed items and that things won't work well.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Duplicate Windows Folder (XP Pro SP3)

Yes, Hans, you're right of course. I'll just bite the bullet and get on with it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"