5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

Assign macros to a menu (2007)

I have just installed Office 2007 and all my macros have gone! In Off XP, I had an AutoExec macro that installed a menu item (called PK Sign) with my macros as sub-menu items under it, but I can’t find any way to do that with Off 2007. I ran the macro that used to install my macros but the menu item has been placed in the Add-Ins tab. But the items only appear for the doc that I had open when I ran the macro. What I’m after is to have the menu item (with sub-items for each macro under it) on the quick access toolbar, or as a new tab (called PK Sign) with my macros under that – for all docs. But how do I do it? Or is there a better place to put them?
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Assign macros to a menu (2007)

> Or is there a better place to put them?

Word 2002 (or 2003), of course.

But seriously, see the following links; they explain about getting customizing the ribbon and getting back toolbars in Word 2007:
    Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon
    Show Classic Menus and Toolbars on Ribbon of Office 2007
    Customizing the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon for Developers (Part 1 of 3)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow Hans, those are interesting suggestions. Thanks.
    ‘Show Classic Menus and Toolbars’. I would like to give the new ribbon a fair go before reverting to the old menus. Although it is VERY different to the old menus, I think it will be better after I am acclimatised.
    'Customising the 2007 Office Fluent Ribbon...' is way past my areas of expertise.
    ‘Customising the Office 2007 Ribbon’ initially looked good. However the article says 'The Ribbon Customizer currently doesn’t offer a way to add macros to the ribbon, ..' It is expected in the future,. But after a year I guess a Microshaft ‘in the future’ could be 10 years off.
    After looking at these and exploring on the web, it seems that there is NO WAY, within the ability of a reasonably competent Office user, of adding a tab with macros in it? That would seem to be a rather intriguing step backwards. But then we are dealing with Microshaft after all aren’t we?
    I have added each macro to the Quick Access Toolbar. That seems to work, but I have all 6 of my macros side by side rather than under one menu item. But hey, it works and I think I will get used to it.
    Additional questions
    1) I can’t see any way of altering the icons on the Quick Access Toolbar, apart from the few offered by Office. Any help here would be appreciated.
    2) I did the same to Word acting as editor in Outlook, but I can’t get the macros to work. I even tried allowing all macros. Any ideas on how to get them working?
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1) As far as I know you can't - another example of the dumbing down of Office 2007.
    2) No idea.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks anyway Hans.
    I'll post the question about Outlook on the Outlook page.
    Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Peter