New Lounger
    Thanks

MATCH Function error (2007)

I have a spreadsheet with two worksheets. The first contains a fairly large amount of raw data, in a defined table. The table is named "RawData". The second worksheet contains another defined table, named "SearchWkst". The eventual goal is to be able to place a value from column A of the RawData table into the SearchWkst table, which would then get the data from the row of RawData and place it in SearchWkst. Right now I'm just trying to get a proper result from a MATCH function, so I can use that as a parameter in a larger lookup function. However, I am getting a "#N/A" error from the MATCH function. I've attached an example sheet.

As far as I can tell, I have the syntax correct for the MATCH function. Is the size of my RawData table a problem? I've only included a subset of all the data in this example spreadsheet.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!
    DeNae
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MATCH Function error (2007)

You're looking for a non-existent value. Your lookup value in the second sheet is
    <code>
    American Beacon AdvisorsAmerican Beacon Large Cap Value Fun...
    </code>
    but the value you're probably looking for is
    <code>
    American Beacon Advisors, Inc. (American Beacon Large Cap Value Fun...)
    </code>
    Hence the #N/A.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Also, you should use a single column to look in, i.e. $A$3:$A$113 instead of $A$3:$BF$113. If you want to look up a value from another column, you can use INDEX in combination with MATCH, or you can use VLOOKUP.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Before I crawl under my desk to hide from the shame of not noticing that, please let me thank you, Hans. I didn't realize that MATCH required a single-column range.