New Lounger
    Thanks

Updating Author field (2003)

In my template, I use the author field, which is filled in with information other than the authorís name in the Properties dialogue box. Even though I enter new information in the template dot, when I open a document based on that template, the fields show the authorís name, meaning me as author of the template, not the information that I entered in the author field (in document properties) in the template. I thought that information entered in this field would override the authorís information.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updating Author field (2003)

How are you filling in the information?

New Lounger
    Thanks

When I created the template, I entered information in the author box in the Document Properties. I inserted the author field in two places in the document and updated the fields, which showed the information that I entered. When I open a document based on the template, the author fields show my name instead of the information that I entered in the template.

Cheers, Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When a user creates a new document, the Author field in the Properties dialog is set to the username as specified in the User Information tab of Tools | Options...
    After all, the user is the one who writes the document, even if someone else created the template it's based on.

If you want to override this, you can specify a name in the Author field:
    - Click anywhere in the Author field in the document.
    - Press Shift+F9 to toggle field codes on.
    - Enter a name after the word Author. If it consists of more than one word, enclose the name in quotes.
    - Press F9 to toggle field codes off again and to update the field.

The field could look like this:

{ AUTHOR "Jason and the Argonauts" * MERGEFORMAT }

This will also force the Author property in the document properties dialog to be updated.

(I myself would use another property myself instead of overwriting the Author property, probably a custom property, and use the DocProperty field to display its value)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans!

Iím using the document properties to give our template users an easy way to enter certain information that appears repeatedly throughout the document. Unfortunately, all the other fields on the summary tab are already taken! Iím afraid that requiring our users to fool with custom fields is asking for trouble. I could try making something more elaborate that would ask for all the information upon creating the document, but I had hoped to keep it simple.

Thanks for the great and consistent help!

Cheers, Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See <post:=259,183>post 259,183</post:> for a simple userform that is displayed when the user creates a new document; it stores the information in the document and displays it in the document.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again, Hans!