Thread: TOC (2003)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC (2003)

Dear Loungers:

I have a document with 5 chapters, and each chapter has a name that is numbered. I customized the numbering by so that each number is preceded by the word “Chapter.” I made each chapter name into a style called "Main heading - chapter." When I apply that style to text, it automatically inserts a "Chapter X," where "X" is a consecutive number. I can then manually insert the chapter title next to the right of the X.

I have a few issues I am trying to work through. First, Word automatically inserts a tab after the X in “Chapter X.” Does anyone know if there is a way around this? All I want is two spaces after the “X.” This way, I won't get my centering messed up when I press enter after the chapter number (the tab after the number shifts the “Chapter X” slightly to the left, messing up the alignment with the next line).

Second, is there a way to get Word to include the “Chapter X” when generating a TOC based on table entry fields? As of now, Word only includes the text that comes after the numbering data. Thus, I have to manually type in “Chapter X” into each table entry field to get it to show up in the TOC, which is annoying.

In fact, this is a problem I have had for years, and it is precisely why I have moved away from using table entry fields and instead creating TOCs based on styles or outline levels, since Word automatically will include the “Chapter X.” Thus, in this particular document, I tried generating a TOC based on outline levels. However, I had a problem because what I am trying to do is to get Word to only insert the titles of the chapters in this master TOC. Thus, I can't just program it to put in all of the outline levels 1, since I will get a lot more than just the chapter titles. So I tried creating bookmarks, where each chapter title is labeled with a bookmark called Main_TOC.

However, each time I insert the bookmark in a chapter title, the chapter title that I just inserted the bookmark into loses the bookmark. This leads me to believe that bookmarks can only be inserted in one selection in a text-you can't create a bookmark for pages 3-5 and then also pages 7-9; you have to chose one group or another. Is this true? Is there any way around it?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC (2003)

1) A bulleted or nmbered paragraph always has a tab character between the bullet/number and the text. So you'll have to adjust the tab position as good as you can. Also specify the left indent for the 'number' correctly.

2) You can specify that a style-based TOC includes specific styles, and turn off Outline levels.

3) A bookmark always refers to a single contiguous range of text.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

If you use a multilevel list --instead of regular bullets and numbering--you can specify that the number be followed by a tab,space, or nothing. If you want two spaces, set the selection to a space after AND in the "enter formatting for number box" add a hard space (ctrl-shft-space), or em or en spaces after the number. While you are still in that dialog (I'm using Word 2007, where it's called Define new multilayer list), choose the name of your chapter style to link your list level to. Doing this may solve one of the other problems you mentioned. Word by default, links at least the first 5 heading levels to outline number levels. If you only want the chapters numbered, be sure to change the links to none or no style for all the remaining levels

By the way, if , one day, you decide to include lower level headings, you could set the TOC level in the TOC options dialog so they would display properly. Essentially you're just telling Word which TOC style (there are, as usual, 9) to use for a particular heading style. Although you can type the codes and insert the field markers, if you go through the menus to set the TOC up, you'll avoid typos and other errors. When you are done, the field code would look something like this: { TOC h z t "YourchapterHead,1,Heading 1,2,Heading 2,3 } . Once generated, it's much faster and easier to edit the code than it is to keep going back to the menus.

Hope this helps,
    PamC
    Pam Caswell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pam, I am using a list based on styles. So on any given level, if I press alt + shift +left or right arrow, it shifts over the outline level. Is this what you mean by "multilevel list"? If so, how can I specificy that the number be followed by two spaces instead of by a tab?

Does anybody know if there is a way to get Word to include the “Chapter X” when generating a TOC based on table entry fields? As of now, Word only includes the text that comes after the numbering data. Thus, I have to manually type in “Chapter X” into each table entry field to get it to show up in the TOC, which is annoying.

Sincerely,

JMT

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Sorry. I used the wrong term. I should have called it an outline list. But please take a look these pages:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/...eNumbering.html
    and
    http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/...dingStyles.html .

After you read the first page, I hope my suggestion will seem clearer. Write back if you have more questions.

PamC
    Pam Caswell