Lounger
    Thanks

outlook upgrade (2000)

So Outlook 2007 doesn't seem to be wiling to install on my XP machine until I first uninstall Outlook 2000. I have lots of emails, addresses, calendar entries etc. in Outlook 2000. What do I have to do to ensure that everything finds its way into Outlook 2007?

Thanks

Jeff

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: outlook upgrade (2000)

You can have only one version of Outlook installed.
    Your e-mails, contacts, appointments etc. are stored in one or more .pst files. Installing Outlook 2007 should leave those alone, but it might be a good idea to locate the .pst files on your hard disk and to make a backup before proceeding with the installation.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. As far as I can tell I have only 1 pst file,size about 111,500. Does this hold all my emails, contacts, calendar entries, notes? And how do I get this into the new outlook?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have only one .pst file, it holds all your
    - all e-mail messages that you received and sent
    - contacts
    - appointments (calendar entries)
    - tasks
    - notes
    - journal entries
    Outlook 2007 will probably use your .pst file automatically, or else ask you to locate it the first time that you start it. It should also inherit your e-mail account settings from Outlook 2000.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Adjunct to Hans good advice, Outlook 2007 (and 2003) uses a Unicode formatted PST file which has much higher item and total capacity. I recommend that after you attach your old PST to Outlook, you move all its content to a newly created PST file and then use the new one as your default. You should find advice here in this Forum on how to do that.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks

thanks - does it make sense to backup my personal folders in the old outlook then import the backup in the new outlook?
    jeff

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It's -always- a good idea to make a backup in case something goes wrong; I'd simply make a spare copy of the old PST, then it doesn't matter if you use the original or the copy to import your old items to the new PST format, so long as you leave one untouched. The process is a little tedious, but won't take too long.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

John,
    A friend of mine is considering making the jump from 2k to '07 as well and I had started a new thread regarding this same thing but deleted it when I scrolled down and found this one. When you say "attach" what exactly are you talking about. Isn't it as simple as backing up your 2k .pst removing 2k installing '07 and then copying the 2k pst file to the new folder or am I missing something. I don't remember much about 2k. I back up regularly and did a fresh back up before I went to '07 from '03. In fact I didn't even uninstall '03 first and had no problems.
    What am I missing here?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

You definitely don't want to use the old PST file as the primary file. The newer PST format has a much larger capacity. The new format was introduced with Outlook 2003. If you look at the properties of an Outlook data file in Outlook 2007 - Tools | Account Settings | Data files tab, select a file, click settings - you'll see that a newer PST has a format called "Personal Folders File" while an older file has "Personal Folders File (97-2002)". I'm sure that what John means by "attach" is open the old PST in Outlook as another data file - File | Open | Outlook Data File. Once you've done that you can move/copy the contents to the new data file.

Joe
    Joe