2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

MP3 pausing while playing over home lan

I'm not sure whether this post should be in this forum or some other forum.

Background
    Our home lan is wired, 100 mbps.
    All of our music is stored on an Ubuntu server that we access from our Windows (XP and Vista) desktops via Samba.
    The server has a 2.8 GHz CPU with 4 GB of ram.
    My wife uses Windows Media Player while I use several audio programs.

Since I was installing a larger hard drive on the server and for perhaps better Vista-Samba communications, I did a fresh install of 7.10 server, versus the 6.06 server that existed on the old drive.

Issue
    With 6.06 we didn't have any problems. Since I put on 7.10, the music streams are dropping at a consistent elapsed time, regardless of the desktop OS or the player being used.
    Every 5 minutes the music 'pauses', for approximately 25-30 seconds, and then continues for another 5 minutes, 'pauses', etc.

My guess is that some process is running on the server, but I cannot find out what it is.

I commented all of the lines in crontab so nothing in there should be running.

I looked at the user logs and syslog without any success.

Question
    Does anyone have an idea what other logs and/or config files I should check? {When I installed the 7.10 I chose Print Server/Samba/OpenSSH/PostgreSQL. ClamAv is also installed.}

Thanks,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MP3 pausing while playing over home lan

I'm not fully up on my Samba services, nor my media over ethernet - but I'm willing to help you figure this out.

My first question for you is, are you streaming the music, or providing the music on a shared network location? If streaming, what software on the server is providing the service?
    Christopher Baldrey

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MP3 pausing while playing over home lan

I am not streaming.

The server just stores the files in a shared folder, that our desktops can access.