New Lounger
    Thanks

Locked for editing (Word 2003)

I'm running a network on Server 2003 and with Office 2003 and XP SP2 on the clients. Sometimes when eg. Word-documents placed on network shares are in use by another person, we get the message "XXXX.doc is locked for editing by 'another user'". This is fine, but who is 'another person'...? Does anyone know, where Windows/Office gets this information from? We would like to change this, so that the persons name was listed instead of 'another person'.
    I tried to enter initals and name in Word (Tools - Options - User information), but that did not help.

Is it a network/server setting?

Thanks for your help!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Locked for editing (Word 2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Word does use the username as specified in the User Information tab of Tools | Options, but you need to quit and restart Word after you have modified the username for the change to become effective.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks!

We have restarted Word, we even restarted the PC's involved in the 'experiment', but the messagebox is still saying that it's 'another person'.
    When you start Word and other Office-applications for the first time, a little box comes up requesting your name and initials. Is this information stored the same place as User Information?
    I searched Windows Registry but I could not seem to find anything relevant.

To me it also seems most likely that it's a setting in Word/Office, but could it be in the domain/Active Directory or a policy?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid I don't know why it works differently for you. The image below shows the "File in use" message I get before and after changing my name in the User Information tab of Tools | Options.

The user information that you fill in the first time you start Word is used to fill the User Information tab too. It is stored in the Windows registry, in HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice11.0Common UserInfo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (8.6 KB, 0 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have researched a little bit more. As it turns out, Word does not create an owner file on the network share. Neither locally on the client's C-drive other than for the normal.dot.
    If I right-click on the network share through Windows Explorer and choose New - MS Word document, it works. An owner file is created and the name is given in the message-box. But as soon as the document has been saved via Word, it does not work.
    My guess is, that a setting in normal.dot is the problem. In Tools - Options - Save there is a checkmark in "Make local copy of files stored on network drives...." Could this be it?

Thanks again for your help!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That might be the problem - you could try clearing that check box.