3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Format HD and Install WinXP SP2 (Win XP Pro SP2)

After going through customer service hell trying to get a PC from Dell, I finally canceled that order and bought an HP 530 Notebook from Tiger Direct. It was delivered late yesterday afternoon. I have been struggling since then to get it to boot. I installed and charged up the battery per directions but upon powering it up and expecting it to boot, I got an error message. The message basically says that a problem was encountered and I must restart the Windows installation. What installation? I was only powering up a system that was supposed to come with Vista BE installed.

After several calls to HP service - and numerous transfers to other parties who, "not to worry, would be able to resolve my problem completely," I was finally given a number to call to have a Vista BE CD shipped to me. Because time is of the essence, I had to pay a $25 premium to get Saturday delivery. But I digress. Whilst awaiting the Vista CD, I thought I'd give installing XP a try.

When I mounted the CD and restarted I came to a point where the installation software said that it could not detect a hard drive. I have been into setup and verified that there is indeed a hard drive - I even ran a diagnostic check on it which ran for almost 2 hours. No problems were detected. I'm anticipating that I will have the same problem trying to install from a Vista CD vis a vis the hard drive; so I'm thinking I need to get this addressed first. I haven't tried a UBCD yet, but I do have one.

At this point I think I probably need to reformat the HD then try the XP installation again, but I don't know how to get a format command to run because I cannot boot the system to any state other than an error. I've checked to be sure that booting from a CD is the first boot option.

Can anyone suggest how to get around this conundrum or how to proceed to get XP installed? I'm not particularly disappointed to have to use XP, but I am extremely frustrated over not having a functional laptop after 2 weeks of trying to buy one. I'm having extensive surgery Monday and will be bedridden for several weeks and a functional laptop was to me my link to sanity for that duration as I will not be able to use my desktop system.

Suggestions greatly appreciated and gratefully received.

TIA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Format HD and Install WinXP SP2 (Win XP Pro SP2)

Isn't there a recovery partition on the HD? Were you talked through an attempt to recover? The HP specs for the HP 530 say that it has a SATA disk drive. So for XP, you need a driver that is not on the XP CD. See the HP site - HP 530 Notebook PC - Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center. You should not have the same problem with the Vista DVD if it is coming from HP. They should have the proper drivers integrated in the DVD.

See if Resolving "Setup did not find any hard disk drives" during Windows XP Installation :: the How-To Geek helps.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Format HD and Install WinXP SP2 (Win XP Pro SP

Thanks, Joe!

I'll give that link a try. Since posting, I've tried using a UBCD and it's not finding a C drive. I'm thinking I have a defective hard drive, maybe.

As far as XP and SATA, I'm running 2 SATA HD's on my desktop on WinXP Pro SP-2. Are you telling me that SATA for a laptop is different? I've not had any problems with the SATA drives installed internally in my P4 system.

Thanks again,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

As Joe said, Windows XP Installation CD does not contain any SATA drivers. During the installation you must press F6 when prompted and point Setup to the floppy drive with appropriate driver! Some computers (laptops) do not have floppy drives at all; in this case, the only way is to prepare custom bootable installation CD with appropriate drivers (all major computer vendors supply such CDs).
    Worse, different SATA controllers require different drivers, and installation CD from your desktop vendor most likely does not contain the right drivers for your HP laptop.

But, when Windows Setup successfully recognizes the driver, there will be no more problems with SATA controllers - that's why your desktop is running smoothly.

I hope I answered to your question.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

After googling around for quite awhile last night, I found a thread on the HP forum that gave me a quick, simple solution to the problem of the UBCD not finding the hard drive. You were correct in that the problem lay in SATA not being in the XP os. The fix was to go into the BIOS and disable the native disk support. This allowed the UBCD to see the HD which meant that I could format the drive and install xp sp2. Afterward, everything worked except the HP network and wireless drivers weren't installed. I was able to search the HP site for the drivers for my model machine.

CAUTION: I don't know if this is a viable solution for every instance of this problem, but it did work with the HP 530 notebook and the BIOS. Before trying this solution do some research on your model and your BIOS.