Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Dual Boot w/ Ubuntu and Vista

I have an HP m9040n with 3 gigs of memory, and 2 500gig hard drives.

I am currently running Vista Home Premium, and want to also set up Ubuntu.

I did this once, but when Ubuntu sets up GRUB in the boot record, it nullifies HP's access to repair utilities at startup.

Is there a way I can set up Ubuntu on Drive 2, so that GRUB is on Drive 2 as well instead of Drive 1, and would that leave e access to the repair utilities?

Or, if that isn't an option, can I save off my boot record so that in the event tha I nNed access to the repair utilities I could restore the "standard" boot record, run whatever system utilities I needed, and then "bring back" the GRUB modified boot?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dual Boot w/ Ubuntu and Vista

Chuck,
    Hello .After "searching" i was led to your post, have you gotten anywhere with this yet? (Vista /Ubuntu dual boot) I also have made a "ubuntu disk" and would like to have this in a dual boot situation, looks intriguing ( Vista/ Linux) As i am only first exploring the idea and have no clue what a "GRUB" is maybe you could help and shed some light on the subject for me. Also what else do you need to do to set up the "dual boot"? Regards
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know anything about Linux or Grub or any of that, but have either of you checked out:

VistaBootPRO - Windows Vista Boot Manager - Dual Boot XP - BCD Edit

Or, their forum at:

PROnetworks - Forum Index

It's very easy to use and I am now TRIPLE booting XP, Vista and Windows 7, but as I said I don't know anything about Linux and what it does to the boot record, but there's bound to be something in the Boot Pro forum about Linux.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Big Al,
    Hello again. After doing some "on line research" i have found this link (for any one who is interested) http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Ubuntu A step by step (for us noobs) on how to do this i will try this and post back. I think "ubuntu", FreeWare (even though it took me 13hrs 52minutes of download) and burning a CD is going to to be well worth the effort. Any one interested see this link http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download Thanks for the links, Regards
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ubuntu isn't freeware, however it is Open Source. It's called Open Source to remove the ambiguity between Free (as in no cost, or beer), and Free (as in freedom).

Open Source software is often free in cost (such as Ubuntu), but is also available in commercial ventures.

I use LinuxMint, a distribution based on Ubuntu.
    Christopher Baldrey

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Christopher,
    Your probably correct, but how about some "useful" help instead of the "nit-picking"!? my prose? Regards,
    PlainFred

Thanks

Now Fred, don't be getting all upset.

Terminology is 90% of the game when system / knowledge clarity is one of the things you're after.

I'm gonna really twist this discussion a bit. I want to run 3 o/s's:

Vista
    Windows 7 (Beta)
    Ubuntu.

As many on these boards know, I often jump first and look for the rocks after. I'm trying to exhibit maybe just a touch of good sense this time, and do a bit more research and planning first!

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck,
    Hello. I have found many posts and solutions to " dual booting and setting up two hard drives " with different OS's one of them is http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php it might be of some help. I am also proceeding slowly (just backed up my 2nd drive) before i "jump in" I'm going to try EasyBCD (also "FreeWare or OpenSource whatever") don't have a cow Chris. to manage the "GRUB" placement. i'll post back after i crash my system (again) and let you know how it turns out (or off) Regards.
    PlainFred

Thanks

See there Fred? Now YOU get to crash your system, and I get to wait and paw through the ashes!

Regards,
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

If all you are doing is trying to learn a Linux distribution why don't you just install it to a thumb drive and boot from there. See Boot and run Linux from a USB flash memory stick | USB Pen Drive Linux.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Joe:

That's a GRTEAT idea. But (now) that's In addition to the other issue, which is that I wanted to install Windows 7 Beta to a separate partition so that I could take a look at it. It runs on a VM, but the video drivers etc. for the VM aren't quite appropriate.

But that IS a good idea to put Linux on a thumb, 'cause GRUB can be a bit feisty.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I hate to be a pest about this since I don't "do" Linux, but have either of you guys (you or Fred) looked at the Vista Boot Pro? It works so smooth and slick with XP, Vista and Win 7 that I can't believe they (the authors) haven't dealt with Linux.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

BigAl, Joe,Chuck,
    Thanks for your input, But i have to report with all but a few minor problems ( ubuntu installation changed my clock and renamed my 2nd hard drive ) easily
    repaired! I now am a "dual booter " (Vista/ ubuntu) placing ubuntu on my 2nd hard drive,( SATA) in it's own 22 GB partition. I now get a choice on "booting" With Vista being Default. I used EasyBCD (FREE something) http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 to place ubuntu boot loader "GRUB" on the correct partition. I'll post back with more results as i find them. Regards
    PlainFred

Thanks

Doc:

I did hear you, and installed Vista Boot Pro. Their BBS says I install the other O/S, and then "adjust it with VBP.

It's the installation of the other O/S's that I'm not set up for as yet.

I have enough room, but I'm gonna back up the entire platter just in case first. Then, in theory, install of Windows 7 will find Vista, then, if I installed Linux, grub will find the Windows installs. But I' d have to do the Linux part last as that would take it out of Windows' hands.

And I'm not certain I want to do that as yet. What I want to do first is get a good look at Win_7. It seems to run great in a VM, but the video drivers aren't the same.

Anyway, I'm a-gettin' there!

Regards,
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

In the thread starting with <post:=752,836>post 752,836</post:> triple booting with XP,Vista, & Win7 is discussed.

Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast