5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Network Password

I helped a friend reformat her hard drive and reload WIN 98. We also had to reinstall a Network Card for her cable internet access. Now everytime she restarts the computer, she gets asked for her Network Password. She can click on OK and it goes on to load WINDOWS. How do we get rid of the password request process.

ileacy

Re: Windows Network Password

Very simple, Right click on Network Neighborhood and go to properties. Remove Client for Microsoft Network. When you reboot, it may ask for a windows password, put in any user name and leave the password blank. If you already set a windows password, do a Find- Files or Folder and delete all the *.pwl files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For me, this worked, except that I had to remove 'Windows Family Logon' (98SE) before the logon screen went away - oh, and I didn't bother entering any username, nevermind a password, afterwards.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Lounger
    Thanks

To get rid of the PWL file so you don't get asked this each time you can use the attached Reg file I made with Xteq X-setup. Just double click and you won't get asked for a Windows password again or download Xteq and do it yourself. Always have a backup of the Registry before making changes in case something goes wrong. Note: I saved the file as a text file so you can view it before applying it, just change the name of the file from PWL.txt to PWL.Reg.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Sultano:

What is Xteq X-setup? This sounds like a toy that I don't have[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img]. Do you have a link?

Thanks,

ileacy

Phil:
    I posted it in Software Finds. You will like it.