4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sticky Select? (XP SP2)

I'm at a loss to describe this problem so I'll do the best I can. I had a user this morning complain that when she selects something it doesn't just select the one thing, it select a group or all. It's happening in any program she opens so I think it's probably Windows related. For example, in Outlook she goes to click on the 5th email down in her inbox and instead of just selecting the one email it select it and all the others above it. In Excel instead of selecting just one cell it's selecting a range of cells. In any program anywhere she clicks it doesn't just select a single item; it selects all or a range.

I've seen this happen a couple times over the years, especially when doing a lot of editing to a Word table or Excel spreadsheet. When it happens, rebooting clears the problem. And that's what cleared it for her this morning, though she had to reboot twice. I checked her accessibility settings but didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

Anyone know why this happens? I'm thinking if I knew why, maybe there's a way to prevent it from happening again. Thanks.
    Daisy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sticky Select? (XP SP2)

Sounds like she has a "sticky" shift key. I've had this happen a couple times as well. If I arrow up or down a bunch of times my shift key turns itself on. The behavior is completely inconsistent. Doing a couple of presses of the shift keys seems to clear the problem. I would suggest checking the drivers for the keyboard.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you're sure that StickyKeys hasn't been enabled in the Accessibility Options control panel, it might be a physically sticky Shift key - you could test this by replacing the keyboard.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've had malfunction problems with a MOUSE in the past cause erratic selection behaviour. I wonder if you could go to Device Manager and delete the mouse, reboot and let Windows re-find it to see if that would stop it. Or, you could try a different mouse...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank all three of you for some good points to look, for next time it comes back. So far yesterday's reboot was enough for now.
    Daisy