3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AutoTextList (2002/2003)

I must be doing something wrong when I add items to my existing AutoTextList. I have a style defined for the field. Most of the items in my lists are our different offices and their address. Of course, we add new offices or change addresses for existing offices over time. When I add or change offices, I Insert the existing office address by right-clicking and selecting the office from the autotextlist. I make my changes and reselect the entire address to Add to the AutoText items. I either type a new name or select an existing name to replace.

The problem is that if I look in Organizer, AutoText, and select one of the office items, the Description below shows that some of the offices have the AUTOTEXTLIST codes twice or more. This sometimes gives issues and gives an error about too many levels (or something like that). The right data is usually inserted after getting the error message.

Am I doing something wrong when I add or change office addresses? Is there a way to edit the existing AUTOTEXTLIST codes to remove the layers of code information?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: AutoTextList (2002/2003)

I don't use AutoTextList fields, but they sounded interesting so I played with one a bit. It seems that even after you choose one AutoText entry, the field code remains underneath so you can change your selection. Thus, when you save or re-save the edited entry, the original field code might be getting saved along with it. Do this a few times, and the fields may become nested. For best results, try converting the list item to the current result (by pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9), and (re)applying the desired style, before saving it as an AutoText entry again.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AutoTextList (2002/2003)

Thanks for looking into this feature.

We have been using AutoTextList since we started using Office XP. When the feature works, it really is a nice feature. We have one template that has 90 paragraphs to select from. I think there is a new feature in Word 2007 for paragraphs. We have not tested the new feature and at the moment I do not remember what the feature is called.

I will test breaking the field link and reapplying the style with some of the autotext items that give the error message.