Thread: Computer crash

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Computer crash

Dear Loungers,

I was using my computer with no problems yesterday. I closed the lid, put it in my bookbag, and 5 minutes later, opened it back on and found the screen blank and none of the lights working. Not even the charge signal was indicating that the computer was plugged in. I pressed "on" and all of the other buttons, but nothing happened.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Sincerely,

JMT

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Computer crash

Complete loss of power is never a good sign. Frequently, this means either a connection or component failure on the motherboard. If your computer is designed to run plugged in, but without the battery, give that a try. Lacking success in that test, you probably either need to take your laptop to a repair center or start looking for a new one. If it is a component failure the practice these days is to replace the entire motherboard - expensive!

Paul

Thanks

A shot but worth a look.

Some laptops have a "sensing switch" built in to the hinged area of the lid. When you lift the lid, the switch pops up a bit and turns on power.
    Check for anything that appears to be a small push button along the rim of the lid. It's possible that the switch is jammed down in the off position from a spill or dirt accumulation for example. If you do locate the switch, try to push it in and out to work the mechanism and clear the switch.
    Always try the easy things first!
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Paul,

Your suggestoin certainly did work. Although a half hour later, the same problem recurred (shut down, not registering power). I tried it again a few days later, and got it working for about an hour, and then a few days later, and it was working without any problems.

Do you definitely think it's a motherboard problem? Could it be a hard drive issue (I have been getting error messages of 20 kb of bad sector files every week in my weekly checkdisk scans)?

Regards,

JMT

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not a "laptop" person, but I have had to change out bad power supplies in two desktop units. Is it possible that the power supply has simply gone bad? If you pull the battery and it runs okay from a plug, then I'd think bad battery or something to do with the socket or connectors where the battery goes. I've also had to replace a bad power pack (electrical transformer) on a Dell laptop before. The electrical supply was bad and in turn, that led to a weakened battery. Try a different power supply / battery before you go assuming it's a mobo.
    - Ricky

Thanks

This is Bob, not Paul, I assume you meant Paul's suggestion to try using it in single mode ( without the battery ) only?

If you are getting THAT MANY bad sectors showing every week, it certainly seems to indicate that you should back-up all of your important data and check on a replacement HD. Why it would affect the no power condition, I don't know.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So with the battery removed you now have an intermittent power problem instead of a no-power problem. On top of that you also have HD error problem. Several things could be going wrong here, but my first thought would be similar to what Ricky has already mentioned. You may now have a combined problem of a battery that needs replacing, a power supply chain problem and, as a consequence of the power problem, unreliable performance of your hard drive. In other words, my guess is that your hard drive problem is a result of the power problem and not a cause of it.

I used the term power supply chain to indicate that the power problem could be anywhere from the wall socket through the "brick" or its wiring or on to the power conditioning circuitry on the mother board, or any of the connections in that chain. In terms of things that you can do, I would suggest keeping the battery out of the computer and substituting a known good power supply ( Brick) and see what results you get. If that makes the power status reliable and the HD errors go away then you have found the problem and then you should get a new battery. The HD errors, of course, could be an independent problem. The intermittent nature of the problem would also suggest gently moving wires, connectors and components around to see if the power loss condition can either be created or removed.

The bottom line is that it may not be a motherboard problem, but without some more tests you cannot be sure.

Paul