New Lounger
    Thanks

Data Link Problem (2007)

For my company I have created a Master forecasting spreadsheet that is made up of many of our department's forecast spreadsheets. Each departments spreadsheet is its own file. To create my Master forecast I copied the cell from each departments forecast that contained the sum total for the department and pasted it into the Master sheet in the appropriate cell for that department. I also linked the data and set the properties so that the values would be updated automatically whenever the Master sheet is opened.

The problem I am running into is that whenever the department heads change the row that the total is in by adding or deleting a row, it screws up my link - the data gets updated, but not with the correct cell or total. I need to allow the department heads to add rows to their forecasts but, I would like to somehow "lock" the total cell in my Master sheet. How do I do this? Did I go about this all wrong?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Data Link Problem (2007)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

You can use defined names for this:
    - Select the cell with the total in a department worksheet.
    - Click in the address box on the left hand side of the formula bar.
    - Type a name, e.g. Total.
    - Switch to the master worksheet.
    - Change the formula that refers to this department's total from something like

=[Accounting.xls]Sheet1!$G$10

to

=[Accounting.xls]Sheet1!Total

The defined name will keep on referring to the cell with the total even if rows are inserted or deleted.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Data Link Problem (2007)

It worked great, thank you!