Lounger
    Thanks

Removing Template Tabs in New (Word 2000Win98/SR-1)

I have a problem that is driving me nuts. I've read every manual I can get my hands on and still can't resolve this.

I have several tabs in the templates "new" window that I would like to remove. The manual says that if you can remove everything in a folder for which there is a tab in the "new" window, then that tab will disappear. But I can't find these files anywhere. I have done a complete search of my hard drive. For instance, there is a "Legal Pleadings" tab. When you click on that tab, that opens to reveal a pleadings wizard. But I can't find that wizard anywhere. So how do I delete or remove that tab?

I know there are two places where Office stores these templates, but the templates stored inside these tabs cannot be found in either of those locations or located on my hard drive. Can anyone help on this?

Marilyn

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Removing Template Tabs in New (Word 2000Win98/SR-1)

Check at C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeTemplates

If not there, in Word go to Tools / Options / File Locations tab and check the location for User Templates.

HTH
    Karen

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

... and also the location for Workgroup Templates, if one exists.

It's possible these point to network file locations, not the hard drive.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by KB MacKenzie to add URL tags
    Marilyn

Check out:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q210/8/84.ASP>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q210/8/84.ASP</A>

As explained in that article, the default template tabs are not that easy to remove.

Goof luck,
    Bob_D

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Marilyn,

Starting with Word 2000, the built-in templates are no longer findable as templates in any location on your hard-drive.

To remove these, you need to uninstall them. See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=wrd&Number=62532&page=8 &view=expanded&sb=5&o=0&vc=1#Post62532>this post</A> for instructions.

Post back and let us know if this method works (as I've never tested it further than removing one template).

Gary