Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

r/c Properties reports differently from Search

I'm testing a file copy/move routine. I set up a memory key drive F: with a rag-tag collection of files, and I'll be move/copying them back and forth to a Ram Disk Z:.
    First step is to establish the number of files.

On Drive F:, in the left-hand pane, I choose Search, all files and folders, all dates, all sizes, etc etc and the Windows Explorer status bar reports 62 Files Found, which tallies with a debug step-through of my VBA code working its way through 9 folders in a little structure of folders.

On Drive F:, in the right-hand pane, I select all (Ctrl-A), right-click and choose Properties, and Explorer tells me that I have 104 files in 15 folders!

(seconds later) Duh! "properties" is inspecting the contents of the 6 zip files, which are treated as 6 folders. 6+9=15.
    [/panic]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: r/c Properties reports differently from Search

Yes. By default XP treats zip files as folders. See thsi thread - How do I stop Windows XP "Search" from looking in ".ZIP" f.. for more information.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Joe, but that is an (as yet unmentioned) part of my puzzle.
    I have a batch file NoZip.bat<pre><font color=blue>regsvr32 /u /s cabview.dll
    regsvr32 /u /s zipfldr.dll</font color=blue></pre>

which runs (visibly!) as part of my reboot procedures.
    I am not accustomed to Windows fiddling inside my zips, so to speak, which is why I didn't think at first to check zips.

Out of interest, I just reran my NoZip.bat and then re-issued the search/rcProperties.
    Same problem. Search says so many files/folders, rcProperties say so many MORE!

Downloaded and ran Rameesh's utility http://windowsxp.mvps.org/nofindinsidezip.htm, and I get the same results.
    Darn! There might be a bug in Windows!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Once you unregistered the dll files did you re-boot? If so, you could try renaming the dll files.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>Once you unregistered the dll files did you re-boot?
    Yup!
    In fact, by the nature of today's testing, I'm rebooting every hour or so, after I crash Word and it hangs on to the files.
    A reboot automatically runs the NoZip.bat, so I ought to be running always with the zip/cab search disabled.

>If so, you could try renaming the dll files.
    True.
    For now I just took the *.zip out of my mixture of files/folder for testing purposes. Using Windows Explorer to count files was a stopgap measure for this week. The final product is supposed to throw up a GUI with a count of files, folders, estimated disk space etc.

Let this thread just stand as a sentinel in case someone else is confused. As was I.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I was wondering why Properties in Windows Explorer didn't include zip files in the folder count, but a remark in one of Joe's links cleared that up - WinZip has taken over the .zip extension on my PC, so zip files aren't seen as folders (they aren't listed in the left hand pane of Windows Explorer either).

Note: despite this, Windows XP still searches inside zip files unless I turn it off separately, so that feature is not controlled by the association for the .zip extension.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hans you have NOT been alone on this one. I to have been thinking why I did NOT have them listed as folders, and I have Winzip installed on my XP machines.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.