Re: My thread in the Other OS/Palm, etc. forum <post:=687,071>post 687,071</post:>

In my continuing transition to Vista I finally got around to my Palm Treo and its computer software, Palm Desktop. I was hoping to do the same thing I'm doing with Firefox and Thunderbird and use the same "data" that I use in my XP installation. But, I don't think that's gonna be possible because Palm has a dedicated software product for Vista, for both the desktop software and the synchronization module. It can be found at Palm - Support - Windows Vista. This software isn't applicable to all Palm devices, but my Treo 680 is on the list, so I downloaded and installed it in my Vista installation without a problem.

After ensuring that I told the software the SAME username that's already in my Treo, I performed a hotsynch while in Vista and everything seems to be OK. All my "stuff" from the handheld is now in the desktop module - calendar, addresses, phones, memos, etc. It did not disturb any of the other stuff on the handheld like pictures, music or 3rd party games that were already installed. I don't know how compatible it will be on anything I might want to do in the future.

I guess I'm going to have to decide whether I want to "control" my Palm synchs in XP or Vista and make it a point to rely on that base, OR do TWO synchs every day to make sure both are at the same level.